More sound separation - volume

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Alex72, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

A wish that would be nice: more separation of sounds with volume sliders.

Different cars can and do have a wide range of volumes on engine, shifter and other sounds where one car you can clearly hear the shifting and in another you can barely hear it and you have to raise "sound effects" to the point wind, crashing, kerbs, backfires etc become much too loud. Basically its very diverse when it comes to volumes over official content and mods. rF2 have so sweet, powerful sounds and it would be great if they could be separated so we have more control over them.

This would be optimal if possible:
    -Engine
    -Shifter
    -Tires

-Wind
    -Kerbs/Offroad
    -Hits of objects/Crashing

Spectator6 and Flaux like this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

As far as sound goes, it would be great if there were more volume sliders as you suggest, but what would really take rf2 to the next level imo would be surround sound. Imagine having engine/intake noise coming from the front of the car and exhaust coming from the rear of the car, or being able to hear before you feel whether it's the front or rear tires loosing grip. Imagine hearing a high pitched noise coming from behind you, then a car screaming by you, and a deeper note now fading away from you as the car drives away.

Alex72 likes this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Indeed. That would be nice too. Giving the devs ideas is the whole...idea! :)

I just noticed that some sounds go lost when they are jumbled together. For example i love to hear the shifting sounds (especially down shifts!) but they are mixed together with EVERYTHING else apart from the engine sound. So if you want to hear it better you also have to hear wind, kerbs, hits, crashes and everything else louder.

Again, this is for future ideas and separating the sounds on the old content might be too much work, but for future content i think it would be a nice thing.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You have some more options in the Player.JSON
    Just at the end of the file are sound options. But they work globally (not car dependent).

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

How about the ability to control the overall computer volume from in-game. (Control the Windows "speakers" slider in the task bar.) Sometimes, for whatever reason, I have it way down when I start the sim and then have to exit all the way out to my desktop to turn it up. Is this possible? Is there already a way to do this that I'm missing?

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

If you have a keyboard with multimedia keys (normally: volumeup, mute, volumedown), it´s no problem at all!
    Works in all windows versions.

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Thanks Peter. I'll look for one of those.

8. HardWin

HardWin Registered

I agree with Green Serpent. Nothing so immersive as good true surround sound. I own a decent surround set (Heco, miles ahead over the entrylevel Logitech stuff) and with RaceRoom it's simply amazing. Find it not rational that most of the sims currently available lack this feature. Off course physics are the most important, but come on, it's 2017!

9. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I like the idea of more sound sliders in the menu. But first of all there should be guidelines for sound in rf2. Same as with graphics. To many people/modder use it wrong and there are some new features since rf1 that need a deeper explanation to understand how to use them.

10. T.Hartmann

T.Hartmann Registered

I'm on dts. Waiting for changing the sound enging, too! Maybe we' ll have a Chance After reworking the graphics Engine!?!?