More realistic sand and gravel traps

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by 007700887, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 007700887

007700887 Registered

I'm not sure whether this is possible but it would be nice to have gravel traps that when you enter it. You don't just bounce into it but you plough through it and stop moving. also to have it stick to your tyres and fly off your car when you reenter the track. It could be switchable so you can keep going if you just want to practice.

Also another nice addition would be oil on the track following a crash or an engine explosion!

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Meh. Fluids on a track nowadays almost always cause a full circuit caution.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

bump more trap in the sand traps. :D

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Game Stockcar seems to have done gravel traps well - if you go fast enough you are slowed down and can possibly make it through, but if you go slowly into them you get bogged down and are stuck. I think it's just a case of tweaking the sand trap values.

CdnRacer, regarding fluids on track causing full course cautions, must only be an American thing because elsewhere that is not the case. Usually covered by a local yellow/red flag suffices.

5. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Not so fussed about more sand/gravel in traps, but I would definately like to see gravel/sand/grass/dirt stick to the tyres.

6. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I like the flying marshmellows when go of the track.

7. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Haha, now that you mention it, popcorn comes to mind :p

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Sand traps that you get stuck into are track maker thing, it is possible to make them so that you get stuck into them, afaik.

I did make such ditches alongside the road in rF1 that it was bit luck of speed and angle if you flew back to road from them or got stuck, like it is in reality, then of course I had to try to get stones there for added oh s**** factor, but it is really how much time track maker wishes to use to get track surfaces outside of tarmac to function like in reality.
    There are of course playability factors too which often is limiting a bit what one can do, there has been some amount of critism about grass in Belgium track as you really can't climb back to track at some points, which is true condition with many race vehicles, but those that seek more of race than ultra realism might not appreciate that kind of realism level.

What could be done is to have casual limits for off track areas, where in game/server option would limits that sinking/resistance so that one can drive out from sand pit, but still allow track maker to make realistic level so those who prefer ultimate realism would leave option off.

2nd solution would be two versions of track, which is rather quick to do, but does it create confusion about tracks, maybe name them casual and real in name to keep both separated.

There might be of course other solutions also, but there is few that came to my mind how to offer more to different bunch of crowds.

9. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

I'd think that having gravel and debris getting dragged onto the track after an off is in some ways just as important in modelling a dynamic racing surface as the wet/drying and rubbering in of the racing line, and I'd (rightly or wrongly) assume it's on ISI's to-do list?