More penalties when causing a collision in online games

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by JP Kaitainen, Nov 6, 2023.

1. JP Kaitainen

JP Kaitainen Registered

In my opinion, with the new online system, there are too many accidents in every race, especially in T1. I hope they create a proper penalties system to make racing more "safe" and not just competition for who survives the first corner.

Juan CofiƱo and coltair like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

I don't see malicious behaviour, that is what a penalties system should punish. What I see here is the driver that goes in a spin that is in an unfortunate position where he get contact in the front right, get is car upset and find a car on his left upon whicj his car is forced to spin. I don't think the white car deliberately caused a collision, and the black car could not avoid the green car. Who and how a computer could decide who is to blame for this?

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

The actual system already detect contacts between vehicles, but avoiding contact especially with cars so large is not always possible or easy, what happen next is not something AI can judge.

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

When simracing there are big blind spots, specially when racing with a single monitor. It's hard not to collide when there are so many close cars going for the turn. I don't see any malice. It would be better if we all had VR or triple screens but that's not the case.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. JP Kaitainen

JP Kaitainen Registered

I wasn't whining about just that one race, I should explain that as an example. I'm just fed up driving to the pits from the first lap to fix the car and then driving alone to the finish lane. Mistakes happen, in sims and real races. Today I made a mistake when trying to fit my Tatuus into the hole, which it didn't fit. Almost ruined my own and other players' race. And the game didn't even recognize that as contact.

My point was that, in general, racers don't do all they can to avoid contact. For example, if there is contact with cars in the front and dust and car parts on the track, some drivers don't slow down even a little pit.

And if you hit another car from behind on the braking with cold tires in the first corner of the race, you don't need triple screen or VR.

I have driven quite a many Dirt Rally RX races and Wreckfest races and there are so many similarities, which in my opinion, don't belong to sim racing. That is just my opinion, and I'm just trying to ask if this kind of behavior is just OK in rFactor races.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It could be many users expect the ratings to be reset once the release candidate goes final. If so they probably are not worried too much about safety ratings. I have read from discord users, however, that the ratings system will not reset but will continue even after the Release Candidate becomes the most current version.

7. I agree.

I am using triple screen setup and also VR from time to time - the shown accident could have been avoided (maybe ... maybe) if the driver of the white BMW would have looked into the left mirror all the time during start, but what about the car in front of him then?

It is a pity, yes, but happens. And from the angle of the replay / video I would say the old gentleman agreement would take place as the yellow / green BMW seems to be at half of the white one only as that one changes its line.

Happened pretty similar in the last SimRacing:Justfair race at Hungaroring: I did enter a corner seeing another driver behind me and from the angle of rear mirror it seemed that he tried to push into curve, too ... but at that moment he was behind me - we touched each other at the moment I needed to increase the angle I was driving at and had not noticed that he was on the inside already while I was watching the cars in front of me ... it happens.

I apologized, let him overtake afterwards and we continued racing for the rest of 62 minutes of 63 minutes race :)

8. Comante

Comante Registered

Things happen to professionals whose only job is to survive the first turn, so much that usually contacts made at race start are not penalized... how can we pretend that amateur simdriver can do better ? Everyone had his fairshare of DNF, look at Verstappen, his early years where almost a crashfest, now he has developed a superpower to avoid troubles.

Bernat likes this.
  9. ... and only professionals are not doing any mistakes and have everything and all in their field of view ;-)

Then I 'd rather remain an amateur before I cast the first stone.

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I tried to explain your example in the video. I've also seen some drivers being careless. An automatic system to detect those things would be impossible and someone doing it would be a lot of work. I think we have to get to know those drivers and know what to do when around them. When practicing online I already try to observe the behavior of other drivers for the race. And I expect the rating system will finally take care of them, and us.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  11. Adrien Slimani

Adrien Slimani Registered

I kind of agree with the OP here. I mean the there are incident in front that are clearly race incident happening at the start of a race.

The issue in the example is the green car appearing at 8 seconds of the video that uses the car ahead to brake whereas there is already drama ahead and then the red car that send it into turn 1 like a headless chicken

12. elgagon

elgagon Registered

I think that the green car doesn't see the incident, because the grey car is in the middle.
    The speed of the green car is the normal speed at this point and he brakes late because he doesn'e expect the cars baking so soon.
    The red car is at the same speed as the white, that takes the turn normally.
    This is an incident that begins with a three wide (that uses to finish badly).

13. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The red car is the one clearly at fault. But I'm not sure if he/she was being reckless or just made a mistake.