More Classic F1 Content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by griever, Apr 13, 2012.

1. griever

griever Registered

I have to say to start this thread, driving the classic F1 cars around classic Spa might be the most terrifying white knuckle experience I've ever encountered in sim racing. It blows my mind that men use to drive these monsters at these insane tracks.

With that said, can ISI delve at all on what exactly is planned for the 60's F1 and what might be planned down the pipes? As a huge fan of that era of racing, and the classic cars and tracks they raced on, I would would be absolutely thrilled to see more of this content developed. It's already so good!

Keeping my fingers crossed for a full season of 60's tracks and cars, but would just be very happy to get anymore of this style of racing whether that be the licensed cars or classic tracks. There is a huge GPL community to this day, for good reason - these cars and tracks are intense and fun, and rF2 could be the one to pry them away...

:)

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think a Lola sportscar is due at final release and Tim promised another classic 60s track,doesnt say which.
    If ure expecting something like the GPLEA cars,well,I sincerelly hope so but not from ISI,it seems there are prolems with licensing.
    Kristoff,shark is 50s.

4. griever

griever Registered

Didn't ISI get licensing for the real deal 60's F1 cars? I remember Tim or someone talking about all the hoops they had to jump through to get the licenses but the got it done.... But all the classic Formula cars we have in the beta have generic names.

Kristoff I was mainly talking about ISI developed 1968 'World Class' mod and if it was going to be expanded. Not user mods.

5. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Actually, the Sharknose was from 1961--the first year of the 1.5L era ('61-'65).

Unfortunately, it's not as simply as getting the licensing for all the cars or seasons; each copyright for each car is owned by a separate entity. Some are fairly easy to license: Lotus is one example, which is why you'll see the 49 in several games soon (Assetto Corsa, iRacing, rF2's EVE, and others). Ferraris, on the other hand, are very difficult and expensive to license: you may only see the Ferrari 312 in the new Test Drive: Ferrari Legends (I really hope I am wrong about that).

I believe Tim alluded to some of the other brands, mentioning how hard it was to track down copyrights of these lesser-known marques. Simraceway announced that they licensed every McLaren; not sure if ISI has or will. Then of course there's Brabham, Honda, Matra, BRM and Cooper...

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

7. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

We have one car from 1988 or 1986 licensed. Can´t remember which year is the right one.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

98T anyone? :D

9. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

'.. but also have licensing deals for real content from the first four decades of Formula One (some in the initial release, some to come later).'

From that announcement it looks like we will get a 50's F1 car as well, I'm fascinated to know how one of those huge front engined cars handles.
    Having said that I'm in no rush, I'm just happy to have the 60's content we have now as early as we have it. If other content from other eras is due out first that is fine with me. Meanwhile I'm still where I've been for months, at Spa mainly, you never get bored of Spa, worried and unnerved maybe but never bored.

10. RafBR

RafBR Registered

I love this thread!!!
    regards!

11. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Since this will almost certainly be a turbo car, that brings up the question...has anything changed regarding the how the gMotor engine simulates forced induction? I remember all the rFactor mods in the past basically faking turbo lag with a tweaked powerband...

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Whats 98T fonnismo?

I drive (small) turbos for the last 15 years and i love them.Tried to drive 2 of my fav racers in rf1,934 RSR and 935.Just couldnt.Fantastic mod,super cockpits, just couldnt drive them,impossible.Hope rf2 is better on this.

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Enjoy

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Oops!missed it!
    But i got it,Lotus.Hope ISI do justice to that fine cockpit, momo alcadara and all. View attachment 1984

15. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

heh, ISI's job isn't to make them easy, it's to make them real. If we do get an '86 car...especially if it's the 98T...it will not be easy to drive. 1986 was the last year of unlimited boost, before they limited it to a paltry (lol) 4.0 bar in '87 and 2.5 bar in 1988 before banning turbos altogether before 1989. In fact at the time, manufacturers admitted their dynos couldn't even measure the power these engines were putting down! It's speculated though, that in qualifying trim, the 98T produced at least 1200hp at 5.5 bar.

"Forget anything after, the 1986 Turbo cars really were rockets, and to handle them I really think you had to be a man." -Gerhard Berger

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

What i meant was that i know about turbo lag,how it feels in real life and rf1 couldnt give it.U said yourself it was "twekeed".
    I dont hope 80s turbo cars to be easy,I hope they feel real,rf1s didnt.U cant say rf2 F1 is easy,far from it,but they are...delicious.
    cheers nikos

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I eagerly look forward to any turbo release. It can't come soon enough for me and NO, they are not more difficult to drive...just different. You have to anticipate the powerband way ahead of time as compared to a naturally aspirated engines. Gear selection approaching the apex is much more critical to avoid loss of revs going in, through and out of the corners due to the subsequent turbo spool down. Highly boosted turboed cars are such a blast to drive fast.
    I loved drivin' my brother's twin turbo Carrera. The thing had so much 'grunt' you hardly had to reach for the gear shift. It 'pulled' like a truck. What a blast that car was to drive fast.

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I have some very interesting documentation of the Honda turbo engine development (RA167E & RA168E). The power/torque curves, amongst others, are crazy!

19. anels9

anels9 Registered

I really hope to hear/see some news about the F1 turbo cars that ISI hopefully have planned ;D

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

i googled ra167 and ra168 PLAYLIFE,it was Nelson and Ayrton,beeautifull memories:)