Monitor for immersion, what's your experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 2, 2017.

1. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Hi everyone,

I currently have an ultrawide, 29" 2560x1080, 75hz freesync IPS monitor (LG 29UM68), that I actually bought with simracing in my mind.

Ever since I got the monitor, I never actually touched a racing simulator for more than 2 hours straight, even though the sense of speed is better compared to a 1920x1080 monitor. (Used to have a 24" one)

It just wasn't as enjoyable as before, and I think I finally figured out why:

1) The screen is not as big in height as my older one, which doesn't trick my brain in "being there" as much as my other screen, if that makes sense to you guys.

2) There's more noticeable input lag, even though I run a higher refresh rate.

I'm considering buying a new screen, but I'm not too sure about which one I should get.

I guess for the sake of immersion, it has to be as big as possible, am I right?
    To reduce the input lag to a minimum, I'd go with a 1ms response time and a 144hz refresh rate.

thoughts on this one?
    edit: I see Samsung has a 32" 1080p curved screen, but it's only 75hz.
    Do you prefer width before refresh rate, or not, and why?

I'd like to hear about your simracing experience, and maybe some tips for extra immersion.
    What monitor do you have, where did you come from, what was your best buy?

Thanks in advance!

Thrindil

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

This looks like a $400 monitor. If you're looking for immersion, why not get a Rift or Vive? Costs more, but you can't compare the experience.

3. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I'm quite happy with my BenQ XR3501. It's a 35" curved monitor with 144Hz and a native resolution of 2560x1080.
    It's big and immersive enough, that i can drive with realistic FOV even on this single screen.

4. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Because of the price.
    You see, the rift costs at MINIMUM €600 in my country, while the vive is €900. (does anyone know why the difference is so big?)
    The BenQ XR3501 mentioned above is around €500, and you don't need as much horsepower to drive it.
    (I have an RX480, not a GTX1080 FTW for example ;) )

5. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Edit: actually, the last time I checked, months ago, the rift was nearly €800, so it came down quite a bit!
    It may be something to consider now... @Milopapa do you have an oculus? What's your experience?

6. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I have a Vive since launch (more than a year now), and it changed my sim life completely. Now I wouldn't touch a "monitor-only" simulator.
    The feeling of being in an actual cockpit simply trumps everything else: the lower resolution, the uglier graphics - you just simply cannot compare.

Fun fact: I was never interested in racing games or generally cars. Ever since I tried Project Cars in VR with a Steam controller, I purchased a Thrustmaster T300 set, started watching racing videos and learning about simracing. I now have Assetto Corsa and RF2, looking for the best simracing experience there is. It is an incredible feeling to drive a Formula 1 car, sitting inches above the concrete, racing down the track, trying to shave milliseconds off your time - I never could understand the point of this before, but actually sitting in the car is a complete game-changer.

The price is high, but there is so much entertainment value (especially with roomscale where the Vive excels) that I would repurchase in a blink if anything happened to my Vive.

Ernie likes this.