Monitor choice?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Bkim, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Hi,

Im ready to upgrade my GPU and monitor. Im running a I7-860 at 3,8 with a GTX 580. The 580 will be replaced with a 780 and at the moment im using a Samsung 27 inch Full HD Syncmaster P2770HD monitor, with a super bezel (my god....)
    The GPU is no problem but the monitor is. Choice! Go for a tripple 27 inch full HD setting, one 34 inch UHD 3440 x 1440 monitor or....wait for one 27 inch Full HD 120 / 144 hrtz (nvidia Gsync) monitor...
    I do not want to go SLI, it will be one GPU. What is wisdom...please enlight me. I only play sims: FSX / Race Sims and DCS A-10.

B.

2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Personally id go for the triples. You'll never look back

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I'm not sure g-sync is going to apply as much if you have hardware that is keeping your fps high. I can see the point if you are running a game and your fps is diving about all over the place, like when you run something like Assassins Creed at full res and eyecandy and that kind of thing where real life reactions don't count. For sims you want high consistent fps, I don't think g-sync will help this that much from reading about it. Although it is said once experienced you really are going to want it. What concerns me are the tests shown, they concentrate on one fast moving object in the foreground (the pendulum) For our purposes it is the far off objects that move the fastest and are most likely to tear. Until I try it on a sim I won't be convinced.
    I am actually in the same boat as you and I am either about to lash out on 3 Asus 24" or 27" monitors. Can't decide which. On the one hand I'd like the 27"s increased area but they are 2ms response not 1ms like the 24"s the contrast is lower and they are not G-sync upgradeable like the 24"s are. Not that I imagine that I would get 3 G-sync boards and invalidate the warranty on 3 monitors(not even sure you could run 3 gsync monitors in surround as the boards use display port and there's only one of those on a card), but it may increase their resale value when I inevitably get an Oculus. So I'll probably end up with the 24"s; I'm doing the upgrade for refresh rate and response time and lightboost, it's a bit of a gamble as I already have 3 Dell 24"s but they only do 75hz and I think the response time is pretty high. As said once you have tried triple screens you won't feel right with just one, hard to beat the immersion of peripheral vision and looking at the apex and your wing mirrors as you do in real life. I'm thinking 3 good 120hz projectors and a curved screen is probably the best right now. I can't afford to try it out though.

4. coops

coops Banned

triples all the way.

5. Bkim

Bkim Registered

I forgot to mention i also use Track IR 5.0

6. Bkim

Bkim Registered

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You will be throwing the head tracker away if you get triples I would have thought. Never really understood it tbh, you move your head the right way but then have to look out the corner of your eye the wrong way?

Yeah £10000 for a curved screen that still requires 3 projectors to finish it off - may as well grab yourself 3 of the new sony 4k projectors at £14000 each while you are at it. :)

8. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I had track ir before triples. ...stick it on ebay you'll probably get nearly enough money back to buy a monitor. ...theyre pretty thin on the ground...well here in the UK at least

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

In stock at overclockers £175 carl zeiss head tracker.

I just bought 3x 24" Asus...... gulp. I hope they do what I think they will.

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I got my 3x 24" asus today and wow gaming at 144hz after 75hz and the crispy 1ms response is very noticeable. Instant improvement to my nordschleife laptimes, I can now actually read the grafitti on the roads and walls whilst moving, this was all a blur before. Incredible.
    I have yet to try out lightboost at 120hz.
    The colours of the Asus are horrendous by default apart from the blacks, the blacks are good they remind me of the first time I saw an oled screen. I was expecting bad colour having read a few reviews, I will have to play with that, but will probably try lightboost first as that is supposed to make things a bit dimmer which wouldn't hurt as std the colours are too bright and washed out.
    So far, very pleased, and glad I was right about what piece of hardware was limiting things.
    Bezels are a bit big so I will overlap them when I get some moveable side arms so that I can use multiview properly. Not brave enough to remove the bezels on these yet.

11. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Another option is tvs now there is Sony W-series with non noticable input lag and quite fast panels. They do have light boost technology though I don´t have any need for it as it kills the contrast as the screen has to go dark between frames. They are still LCDs and thus give a quite bad image but it´s better then the monitors I tried at least.

As for trackIR I can´t understand why somebody would throw that away just due to getting triple monitors. For flight simulations it´s the vertical information that is important and ability to check your tail ;). As for racing I can surely see why it would be redundant. I don´t really need it even with my single monitor but it´s good fun and make things that bit more realistic. It´s not really that awful to to turn your head less then you do in real life. It´s just second nature to use our head to move around much more natural then pressing buttons so don´t see that argument at all :)

But for flight simulations trackIR is invaluable if you are going to stick with cockpit view so don´t throw it out lol

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yeah I didn't mean literally put it in the bin! I had never used one and had not even considered other forms of simulation, or even that it tracked vertical movement! I just have my rig setup for driving only, and with 3 monitors setup correctly, you turn your head the same as in real life to look at the apex and mirrors. If you had track ir on as well it would get really confusing I'm sure. I would have though it would be the same with flight sims too. Basically we are all waiting for the occulus. When that comes out I think I will be torn between driving and flying. Can any of you tell me what is the best flight sim that contains helicopters? I like planks but flying egg whisks just do it for me. I have looked but not seen any off the shelf helicopter controls, cyclic, collective and pedals. Are there some?

13. oqvist

oqvist Registered

I don´t expect the occulus head tracking to be nearly as good as with trackIR but the screen does follow your head which is a plus. I am a bit worried by the latencies and potential centering problems. TrackIR can track in all axis not just vertical and horizontal. They way I set trackIR now for racing is that I disabled all axis but the horisontal and have a huge deadzone. My monitor is big enough I just need it for checking my sides when overtaking or being challenged.

There is rudder pedals though if you are lucky if you have racing pedals with equal clutch and throttle like on my T500RS or the G27 pedals that will work perfectly fine. There is hotas controls from CH, Saitek and others too. ffbjoysticks if you like that.

As for chopper sims DCS series feels the most realistic and have really deep avionics if you are into that. If you are not into shooting stuff I have great fun running choppers in FSX. As for arcade take apache: air assault by gaijin was quite fun. Take On helicopters was virtually free but it was super ugly and appeared really buggy. I don´t know but 3$ is not a fortune lol.

They are great fun I also love the WW 2 era of airplanes. Jets are to fast and a bit of booring unless it´s super arcade ala Ace Combat series :)

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I was really after sim rather than game, the saitek stuff is alright, but I would like some authentic robinson 22 (or other trainer) heli controls. Guess it's back to make your own.

15. oqvist

oqvist Registered

may like at some dedicated simflight forums for mod suggestions :)

Most stuff is quite gamey. There is some Thrustmaster HOTAS which is quite serious though. Cougar?

Personally I run CH Fighter Stick and HOTAS. Not really impressed by particularly the HOTAS but the joystick is okay.