Modding help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dradecki, May 14, 2014.

1. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I have two remaining issues with the mod I am working on. One is the pacecar I created. In 3dmax it looks fine and exports properly, but in devmode the interior of the car and the driver sit appropriately, but the body of the car sits halfway into the track. The other issue is the mirrors on some of the cars just show the mirror.bmp image and not the proper reflection. I looked at all the settings and they appear to match the car tutorial posted on the developers page. This one is a real mystery.

2. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

On the first one, it's probably a pivot problem.
    Select your body mesh, change the pivot, and set it to 0, 0, 0.
    Then, on the right menu, the utilities button (where you have the exporter), you should have a "Reset XForm" button. Hit this button, then Reset Selected. Finally collapse the modifier and export.

I'm not sure it's the same in rF2, but for your mirrors, have you the material name "mirror" and ticked the Render Target box ?

3. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Hi JP,

Long time no talk. Just curious, if the pivot point was off wouldn't the entire car be off? When I open it up in 3dsimed the car and all it's pieces are positioned properly.

dradecki

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Hi D,

That's the beauty of car modding, you don't get to see those things in 3D SimEd.
    To my knowledge, each object has to have a perfectly set up pivot. If one isn't set up properly, normally it's the only object affected (in rF anyway).

5. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

3dsimed uses 3d physical position to display gmt's, in-game uses pivot point and physics.

What is the car like in the spinner? always check the spinner because the physics do not count, only the pivot points.

If the bottom of the car body sits above the origin position of '0' height wise in max, you will probably need to use the GraphicalOffset in the hdv file to set the height of the body correctly in-game. A lot of the time people use the bottom of the tyre and adjustments are necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  6. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Well the mirror issue appears to be a global issue with all cars (even the trainers) in devmode. As for the pace car I don't have it set up to be on a spinner. But I'm going to try JP's suggestion again.

7. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

the mirror issue is not a dev mode thing, what version of devmode are you working in, my mirrors all work in moddev no problem.

If you are seeing the mirror.bmp file on the mirrors, as suggested further above, you do not have the render flag ticked. If your using 3dsimed, in the material properties, in other attributes, the render target box should be set to true and the material should be named 'mirror'.

8. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I do have the render box ticked. If it was my mod then why are the trainer cars effected. It may well be a bad install of the devmode. The mirrors work in the actual game, so I am not so much concerned. It's just a weird anomaly. My main struggle is with the pace car. I reset the pivot with no luck. I am wondering if this is a setting in the susp.ini file.

9. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Do you have a picture (even by PM) to see how that pivot problem looks ingame ?

10. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

at least they work in single player mode. Make the spinner gen, it will be worth it, physics are not used there, and it will show using your pivot points.

If you are happy to send me the car in confidence, I will have a look for you if you want;-)

11. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I'll take your advise and do a spinner gen. I was hoping for an easy fix, but nothing so far in this conversion has been easy. On the bright side the race cars look really nice. :)

12. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

great, look forward to pics:)

My offer still stands and good luck mate.

13. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Thank you again for the offer. I just didn't get a chance to getting around to this last night (busy night at home), but hopefully I'll get to this before the weekend.