Mod Manager: Vehicle / Track List Frustration

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Hepatic, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Hepatic

Hepatic Registered

Now more tracks & mods are surfacing during testing, i'm struggling to install stuff due to dependencies that, to me at least, shouldn't really matter.

I am not a daily gamer, so it's not uncommon for me to find a mod a while after it has been released. Good example is the alpha build of the GP79 mod. The issue i am finding is that mods will have a dependency on certain tracks AND their version. The problem this causes is if a mod references an old version of the track, you must have that installed before the vehicle can be installed too.

That leads to multiple versions of the same track as different mods get out of sync with the track versions. In the GP79 case i can't even install it because i am missing v1.00 of Essington, which i can't find because it's moved on since then.

One of the biggest issues we had with rf1 when gaming online with our community was the constant issues with ensuring the right versions of tracks & mods. Some people just want to load the game, pick their mod/tracks and get on with enjoying the racing. It was bad enough to put most people off.

My suggestion is to either do away with the version requirements for INSTALLING a mod, or at least provide a switch to enable/disable it. I understand for the online section of the game to work the versions must all line up, but as it stands every time any circuit is updated, the mod will have to be updated too. If not, someone new to a mod that needs to install it won't be able to, and the community will wither as a result as people cba trying to solve it.

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

That is actually a fault of the modder who released the GP79 mod. All mods (cars and tracks) should be released as an independent component (the file should have the extension rfcmp, not rfmod).
    The same happened with the Lola release (you had to install some tracks to install it). They have later resolved this issue by releasing it as a standalone car. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and will not repeat it in the future. I guess others will have to learn their lesson too.

3. johnclapison

johnclapison Registered

I am really struggling with installing the Monza mod. As far as I can see, I have done everything right, but I can't get it to appear. In the mod manager, it says it is installed. In the component manager, it has a greyed out install button. But the track is nowhere to be seen! I have spent hours and hours trying to sort this out (sad but true) but the track looks SO good, I can't wait to try it.
    Is there anyone out there who can tell me what I am doing wrong?
    PLEASE!

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I guess I can..... (at least when I understand the problem correctly ;) )

when using a 'mod', only the tracks it states are shown. In order to get Monza (Brianza) working, you must either use "all tracks all cars" (ingame, at the top of the mod selection menu), or create an own vmod including the cars you want + the tracks you want (which in this case would at least include monza if you want that to show up)