'Mod is not currently installed' when trying to watch a replay, possible vMod issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DocJones, Oct 9, 2015.

1. DocJones

DocJones Registered

A couple of other drivers and I ran into a problem watching a replay file of yesterdays race using build 1008. The track wouldn't load with an error message saying 'Mod is not currently installed'. It's not an old replay file but the one we raced with the day before, so both content and vMod was definately installed correctly and up-to-date.
    One of our drivers found a solution to that issue in uninstalling older versions of the vMod (same name, but different version number) and keeping only the latest version installed. I can confirm both issue and solution.

I could go on about how stupid I felt when uninstalling the older vMod and thereby (unwillingly) uninstalling tracks that were also referenced in the latest version and having to reinstall those components, but I understand this is not a bug but a 'feature' in ISI's view. (Please reconsider...)

2. stonec

stonec Registered

You don't need vMods for watching replays, that requirement was removed long ago. "Mod" in this case refers to car or track missing. With older vMod I assume there was older version of the car or track installed as well? rF2 doesn't do well with having many versions of the same car/track installed, the menu etc. gets confused. I assume the replay problem is related to that.

3. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Interesting information on the vMod, thanks. There were older versions of the car update installed with the old vMods, yes. No older versions of the track though (or rather: the original track is still there, as is the (one) update to it). However: the actual content of the old car updates are still present when looking in the \Installed\Vehicles\M2009_car path! But I can play the replay now. :confused:

That's another buggy thing I stumbled over in the past already. Some content referenced to in a vMod is removed when uninstalling the vMod, some isn't. The .mfts from Manifest folder and .mas files from \Installed\rFm were removed. Same with some tracks that were referenced (but not included) in those vMods. But I still have three additianal folders in \Installed\Vehicles\M2009_car with the version numbers of different releases of our skin package, containing a .mft and .mas. Why aren't those getting removed along with the rest of the vMod? Why are tracks removed that I installed prior to the vMod? I don't get it.

4. DocJones

DocJones Registered

A follow-up since we tracked down the issue further:
    In most cases the error message when trying to load a replay goes away after loading vehicle and track combination in singleplayer once. In rare cases however, our drivers reported that they also had to uninstall old versions of vmod and (or rather?) content. This is also the case with the current build 1028.

Some more background info for ISI: We are using updates to the base ISI cars containing additional .veh files and custom skins and probably most drivers not only have the latest but also older versions of these updates installed. This may or may not be the root of the issue. However, we didn't have the 'mod not currently installed' issue in older builds when we did the same with delivering custom skins as mod updates. ISI mods involved are Méganes and Eve/Spark F2s. I think I should also note that we are still using the 1.44 and 1.49 versions that were multicomponents instead of the newer vehicles only releases of both mods (because our seasons are almost finished and changing to the newer versions would have meant additional work at no real benefits).