Mod installation via launcher is failing

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dimitri Pawelski, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Dimitri Pawelski

Dimitri Pawelski Registered

Hi,

I'm planning to buy the game if I'm able to set up a dedicated server (on e dedi box) so I downloaded the lite installer on the box and tried to host. I got the message that I need to install mods so I went to the "content" tab and tried to install a remote content mod but I get thte following error:
    http://puu.sh/jyIrt/14270264d9.png

My data path is set to RF2\Packages if that can help.
    I tried creating the "missing folder" in different directories but I still get the error.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but you said you haven't bought the game? You can't expect features to work without unlocking the product. There is a demo.

Edit: You may want to try the old mod manager from /rfactor2/bin32 folder. There is a slim chance it will allow you to install mods without activation for hosting.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What makes you think your DataPath is set to RF2\Packages? I ask because the DataPath should never actually be set to the Packages folder. It should be one level up.... simply RF2\. To confirm where your DataPath is set. Open "RF2\Core\data.path" with notepad and make sure the path in there is set to RF2\.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No licence is needed to host a server but I suspect you are right that the package manager in the launcher may not work without activating. I've never actually tried it. Actually, I never really use the launcher to install stuff. Hahaha. ModMgr.exe should work for sure.

5. Dimitri Pawelski

no license needed indead as I hosted a server for a friend 1 or 2 years ago but the game has changed a bit ever since and my old config does not seem to work.
    Id like to make sure to be able to host a server again before buying a copy for myself as else I'm not interested.

The data path was set during setup, it is in packages but I can reinstall if it is an issue. I did change it from default after reading a dedicated server tutorial that was suggesting doing so.

The launcher works fine without a license you only can't run the game. I tried the old mod manager but I can't remember how I was using it as I can't find where to download the mods (unless the mods have to be manually downloaded to be loaded in the mod manager?).

thank you

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When you run the modmgr you have to specify the working dir which in your case should be RF2\ and the packages folder which in your case would be RF2\Packages. You would then manually download a package and then place it in the PAckages folder. ModMgr should see it and allow you to install it.

As far as licensing. It is totally legit to host without a licence. ISI has alway allowed this. All the way back to rF1.

I'm going to deactivate my copy and see if the launcher will install content.

Edit: Okay.. I just deactivated (renamed AppData\roaming\.rFactor folder) and then managed to install Origan via the launcher without a problem. So to me it sounds like something is messed up with your install. To test I would simply do a fresh lite install and specify C:\rF2Server for but paths when prompted in the installer.

7. Dimitri Pawelski

HmmI reinstalled as you suggested but still getting that error:
    http://puu.sh/jyTS9/513fc7be49.png

I wonder what url is used to downloads the mods from and if it would not be a network issue eventually as the missing folder/file might be a connexion failure to server.

8. Dimitri Pawelski

It may be a network issue as I tried on my own PC and the mod seems to be installing fine while on server it keeps failing even after a reinstall.
    Too bad I will have to upload the files to the server.

Do you know what url is used to download the mods (server address) eventually?

And thanks for the help.

9. Dimitri Pawelski

I installed ISI_Marussia_MR01_2012 but I still got a message saying I need to install a mod to run server, did I install wrong package or did I do anything wrong?

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

ISI_Marussia_MR01_2012 is a "component". In addition to installing components you also need to install a "mod". The mod is basically just a file that describes what content you want to host on the server. This file is transferred to the clients when they join the server. The client then verifies that they have all the content that is listed in the mod and that none of the content has been tampered with (using MD5 like hashes).

To create a mod you use the MAS Utility. In the launcher you will notice an icon on the left side with the number 2 on it. That is the button you need to press. Once the MAS util is running you then click the file cabinet icon on the toolbar and make sure you set your path to your packages folder. Then click package icon on the toolbar and then click the "Create new mod package". Now you just fill in the details and pick the components you want to include in your mod. On the final screen you click package and then click install. After that you will see your mod installed when you launch the server.

11. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Yeah, folder lol

I´m also don´t get how to make this work. Didn´t get Noel explanation

edit: nevermind. Got it now. It was wrong path to download and install

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015