Mod ID Problem

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Enetmo, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

I wasn't ignoring anyone, and sorry if it felt that way Mianiac.

The only reason I asked what happend when he started over, was that I wanted to make sure that the issue was packaging related. As responses in the hosting server and packaging fora are quite limited when questions are asked, I figured i'd help with the limit knowledge I have to get him back on track again. It is hard to restore to a point where all was good, as Mianiak suggest and gave instructions for, especially if you do not know exactly what you are doing. My personal opinion in that matter is that sometimes, it's more easy to start over. Not always the best sollution, but mostly the most easy and quickest one :)

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I haven't felt anyway. It's means no different to me if you do it the right way or the wrong way, in the end you have to deal with it. It's all well and good that your method works, but it is defeating the purpose. The updatng system works, I have successfully made 3 incremental updates in my little experiment with Searspoint.

Think ahead of yourselves here..
    If you just redo the whole thing again from start and straight after it's released someone finds a serious bug (ie, in my test, I forgot to add the curbs into the tdf so they had no grip, that had to be fixed asap and this happened 2 days after I shared it with the public).

If I followed your advice I would have to,,
    *Repack the whole 100mb and re-upload it
    *Everyone would have to re-download it.
    *Server admins would have to reupload the 100mb to their servers.
    *Everyone would have to uninstall it (nightmare begins here :D)
    *and so on,,

In my experiment, my updates were no larger that 20mb each, it was a simple task for the end user to copy the file into their packages folder and update it, as was for server admins to update their servers. Nothing to uninstall, no confusion, everything went smoothly and everyone was happy.

I'll leave it there for now, you have a think about it, I'm here if either of you want to get this sorted the right way :)

3. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

Really appreciate your help, now works mod, and mod base, from now will I make updates and enhancements circuits. HDV, TBC, etc ... so your information also will help me.
    Thanks and forgive the inconvenience.

4. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Then I think you misunderstood me Mianiak.

I was NOT suggesting the update functions do not work! I encourage the updates. However, I figured that it would be good to have a good basis to build the updates on. Thats why I suggested to start over for one time, to create a good basis.

Reason for that. When trying out a lot of things (without proper advise, so BEFORE your post), there is a big chance of messing up some things. That's all.

Last, I do not have problems :) I was just giving some answer to Enetmo :) I use the update function, and it works for me.

5. dv8r

dv8r Registered

Has anyone got any advice on ' Unable to Verify Mod' errors. My components are working fine, and after installing them sometimes i can install the mod, but usually it doesnt verify.

If i dont install the components first, and simply attempt to install a full rfmod(which contains the components), it never verifies. I have been through all the tutorial stuff and im convinced this relates to my rfm or something, but if anyone else can explain whats happening in the verification process that would be appreciated.