Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Dreamer

Dreamer Registered

And About Online Connection rF2 need a better connection than rF1 ?

2. elwood

elwood Registered

I agree, the single feature i'll miss will be the tassellation, in some circumstances could be useful to let the gpu smoothing some 3d, tires, corners, chassis, 3d trees, tirewalls... i mean fully modeled, not x shaped trees or 'boxed' tirewalls.
    But i clearly understand that it's not convenient now for ISIs, write specific code for few users with a full dx11 system. (GPU and OS)
    Almost useless. Better to spent time on refining dx9 shaders. ;)
    Cheers.

3. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I don't think so. The sizes of the video memory apertures into the system memory are fixed now in modern motherboards with PCI-X cards.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Fairly sure the 4gig addressed in a 32-bit OS includes the video memory. I've only looked into it briefly though :)

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah that's what I thought...

6. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I need a NEW puta! Any donations gratefully received. haha.....

7. Kiro

Kiro Registered

Yep, just look at the numbers in your rFactor config.ini on a 32 bit sys.

8. theother5

theother5 Registered

Here's a link to a document about 32 bit Os and how memory is addressed.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/RAM Allocation w-WinXP_HP MWP x64 03Nov05.doc

Here's the kicker snippet ....

".....Microsoft Windows XP Professional, designed as a 32-bit OS, supports an address range of up to 4 GB for virtual memory addresses and up to 4 GB for physical memory addresses. Because the physical memory addresses are sub-divided to manage both the computer’s PCI memory address range (also known as MMIO) and RAM, the amount of available RAM is always less than 4 GB...."

and goes on to explain that BIOS is allocated memory from the top address and below, allocations for PCI devices such as video cards for example are made all reducing your available addressable memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah what I thought, cheers again

10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I am certain that it does not. The 4G addressable by the OS contains apertures into the video memory which are areas of video RAM that are also mapped into system memory by the GART. My system with 4GB of RAM has a video card with 1GB of VRAM but I have about 3.1GB of memory available. On my system it uses the following apertures :

Code:
    000A0000 - 000BFFFF : 128K
    C0000000 - CFFFFFFF : 256M
    FA000000 - FBFFFFFF :  32M
    FD000000 - FDFFFFFF :  16M
    This totals about 432MB of video aperture memory - far less than the actual 1GB that the card has. You can see this info in the device manager under the display adapter's driver resources tab.

My laptop has 512M of VRAM and the same number and amount of aperture memory mapped but they are at different addresses. Both are nvidia adapters. My laptop also has 4GB of system memory with about 3.1GB available to the system. In addition to the video memory apertures there are apertures for the PCI-X bus itself which on my laptop are at :

Code:
    F0000000 - F2FFFFFF :  48M
    D0000000 - DFFFFFFF : 256M
    and they use another 304MB of the memory space. These two things account for 736MB from the total of about 896MB used by system resources out of the 4GB that is available. I could probably track down the other 150MB but I think (hope) you get the point.

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You are reffering to a video memory not being mapped onto system memory....and that's probably true. But you also have aperture memory, which is a part of system memory reserved for textures (acting like an extension to a native video memory). So, if you have a 1GB video card and aperture memory of 512MB, then you have 1,5GB of available video memory, from which 512MB is taken off from your system memory. That's how I see it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  12. cammel

cammel Registered

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, this is fairly off-topic which was the reason for my brevity; I also didn't claim to know for sure, and made that obvious. Thanks for the clarification, but two points remain: A 32-bit system won't have 4GB of available RAM, and the video card is a factor in that. And while you're correct that all of the video RAM isn't mapped, your 432MB video aperture memory would be somewhat less if you had, say a 128MB card, would it not? So Tim is correct in a sense. :)

Anyway, this is all hopelessly OT.

14. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

On my system with a 1024MB video card and 432MB of aperture the rfactor configuration says 1500MB of video memory so that seems to be correct.

15. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I am not sure what the aperture would be with a 128MB card. I haven't seen one in years. I do know that the aperture is the same for my two nvidia cards with 1GB and 512MB.

Actually, not so OT since it relates to the topic of mimimum memory specs for the game but I think I have said all I have to say. :)

16. Grubby

Grubby Registered

Looking at the spec's I'm good to go everything set to max, can't wait.

17. Dreamer

Dreamer Registered

One question
    If we can run fine the Game Stock Car by Reiza(Game look like rF2) we can run fine rF2 ?

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

Does the fact that RF2 runs DX9 mean that we may not need the latest and greatest graphics cards to get great performance? The recommended cards seem quite 'low spec' so again i wonder if it would be worth going for a HD6970 or such for RF2?

19. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

So after all this memory adressing discussion I still have to figure out if a 32bit application in a 64bit OS is allowed to use more than 4gb. For instance a 8gb of RAM pc, let's say 2gb goes for the OS, are the remaining 6gb available for the application? Or it can't never be more the 4 because it's 32bit?

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm still surprised if some one may ask such question.
    Man, just think a minute or two. Does GSC use posprocessing which will be present in rF2? No.
    Does GCS use new lighting/shading model which will be present in rF2? No.
    Does GSC contain more complex physics which will be found in rF2, which will be most power-eating part of the rf2 (Referring to what Tim said). No.

And finally how do you know that GSC looks the same as rF2? Have you seen rf2 already?
    GSC doesn't look like rF2 because lack of a lot of graphical features in rF1.

Additionally rf2 requirements has been published. I believe GSC has lower requirements because are quite same as rf1