Metric and imperial measurements for different things.

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by ZMC888, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

It would be great if I could choose metric or imperial measurement different things. For example I only want air pressure measured in psi, fuel quantity in liters, fuel use in mpg, ride height in cm, speed in miles per hour, heat in centigrade etc. I'm sure that most British, Australians, Canadians and so on would have their own mix of preferences. Sorry for be such a chameleon, but just choosing metric or imperial units really isn't comfortable for me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

Yeah that would be great. I'd prefer Bar for pressure, Newtonmeters for torque, Kilograms for weight and springs, Centimeters for height/length, heat as Celcius, and litres for fuel quantity and Litres for ??L/100km.

Those are actually commonly used in Finland.

3. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

I have already asked for this but Tim said he doesn't think it can be done.

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Whats wrong with Metric? You will get used to it after a while! And its easier to divide and multiply by 10.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  5. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to so say. How do you gain anything from forcing everyone to use metric or imperial? I don't remember the last time I multiplied by ten when I was filling my tires with air in psi. Yes metric can be more logical sometimes, but that's why we need choices. Filling your tires in BAR is annoying and inaccurate, but then I hate my ride-height being in inches and my fuel quantity being in gallons.

Shame, how about having both measures side by side in the garage?

6. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

And i actually started to think about this, i can't think about any reason that would make this impossible to do.
    The game uses metric parametres for calculating these things, it doesn't matter if the screen tells us that we're adjusting gallons or inches.

All it would take is a bit of more finely tuned code that translates the parameters to desired unit before they get sent to the Graphical user interface.

It's like we're now talking in english, but if someone who doesn't speak english would like to know what we're speaking about, they'd probably use Google translator for translating. They can translate the whole page or just a part of it. Same logic could be applyed to the units in the game.

Or is my logic hidiously wrong?

7. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Silent alarm, your thinking makes complete sense, but it's ISI's code, and they've got to implement it.

8. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

So let's cross the fingers and hope that we get the christmas earlyer this year than usual. And maybe more often than we're used to :)

There is so much to improve, and through improvement ISI could get more buyers. And if nothing else, the game gains longer lifetime.

rF1 was released 2005, that's 7 years of constant, active online playing and support from players and developers to players. That heritage isn't to be taken lightly and i'm sure nobody at ISI is taking it lightly, because that doesn't happen with every racing game. I'm waiting for something similiar with rF2 and that needs really flexible user-end customising possibilities just like in rF1. Only the times have changed and requirements have grown. This ain't "Stunts" anymore :) (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game))

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'd love to see this. Possibly something we could setup in our plr file.

temperature Metric or Imperial
    Spring rates Metric or Imperial
    Tire Pressures Metric or Imperial

etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  10. MJP

MJP Registered

Unfortunately that wouldn't stop a car using the 'Special Overrides' in the HDV files messing things up for you.