McLaren's Kevin Magnussen - Comparing WSR vs F1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

- Short but some cool info. I like how he talks, he seems gets into a little more detail than most drivers seem to, doesn't seem as vague. I can't wait for the days our wheels are powerful, fast, super high torque, quick enough responding and detailed enough to really give us a violent FFB while maintaining near perfect fidelity and clipping (or lack of).

- This is great too, again he seems to get into slightly more details regarding technique than most drivers seem to (Alan Mcnish is excellent at this as well)

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Cool videos, thanks!

As a fellow Dane I can't wait to see this guy in F1 next year... :)

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's your lucky day then ;)

http://simsteering.com/

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

A snip at £2400 lol. I'm sure it's worth every penny though, it's gonna be a few years before logitech come up with that for £300 quid sadly :-(

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

For 2400 pounds I'll better buy an Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 TS in good conditions.

Plus: much better ffb and immersion feeling.
    Minus: Gasoline cost.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You get what you pay for and it's the most affordable servo drive system money can buy at this point without going DIY :) (Give Logitech 10 years and they still won't, trust me...)
    SimExperience however, appear to working on a servo drive system as well but I don't know what budget they aim at. My best guess is somewhere between 1 and 2 k.

Agreed :) It's all about how much you want/can to spend on a hobby though.

7. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Damn wives and their summer holiday demands....

;-)

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't know it still doesn't seem the same. Sure it has a lot of torque output from the motor and get be setup to require lots of force to turn but at the same time the wheel reactions seem extremely overly smooth and not even close to real life. Magnussen above says the FR3.5 are physically (apart from g-forces and probably brake pressure) harder to drive than F1 and much more violent. Also look at the violenece of F1 wheels from the 80s and 90s. The server based wheels look like they can output very high resistance and speeds but everything seems buttery smooth. Maybe it's just the particular sim/ffb settings/car he uses but I dont see what I see in real life onboard videos.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You should really try a servo drive wheel for yourself, videos don't do the hardware justice :)
    The dynamic range and constant torque is unbelievable while still providing all the jolts with as much violence as you would like however smooth or jerky you are (over)driving the car.
    Being buttery smooth is a testament to these types of wheels as there is almost no mechanical resistance and it can be setup from buttery smooth to wrist-bruising depending on
    how you drive. When hitting a wall, definitely let go of the wheel with these babies, you'll only need to forget once :)

The last corner going onto the straight of Portimao with these types of wheels and a high downforce car, makes your arms ache!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I believe every word you're saying wgeuze, but when I say they seem too smooth I don't mean in mechanical resistance, I mean in the forces of how the wheel is fighting you regardless of how smooth you try to be. Watch an onboard late 80s early 90s F1 video to see what I mean, there are lots.

Maybe the problem isn't the wheel but the sims, who knows.