Maybe a track worth pursuing Tim? :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

good catch Woodee just checking out the website now, layout looks good with a 3 layouts (and a Kart track!). Shame it's not closer to the M4, can see traffic jams at a BTCC event!

I like it, I like it a lot!

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

..and at least it's not another Tilke creation.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

true dat!
    looking at the plans there appears to be sufficient asphalt run offs at each corner before the gravel traps, I like that approach as it lowers Safety Car numbers as mistakes from drivers are not punished by getting trapped immeditaley, gives them a chance of getting back on swiftly enough. Pictures dont show the elevation changes so will be interesting to see them, Dirt Oval as well...nice!

Edit: 3.5 mile track

5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Looks a quality track.
    [​IMG]

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

This was posted up on the pCARS forums, too. The layout itself doesn't inspire me much at all, to be honest. I'll hold my opinion until it's built and I can see exactly how the elevation changes affect it. From the other images, though, it doesn't look like there'll be much change. There's the same tired old extreme elevation map shot that gets used all the time to trick everyone in believing there's some huge changes, when in reality its exaggerated on orders of magnitude from the real thing.

I do like that pedestrian bridge in the picture Baked Bean posted, though. Interesting. That's going to have to find its way into my inspiration folder...

Nice that there's at least some grass at the edge of the track before the asphalt runoff. Mosport has been getting some wonderful improvements this year, but they really butchered turn 2 with running the asphalt right up to the racing surface. Bad, bad call there.

7. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I like how they modeled the late apexed rubber @ the hairpin...fastest way out! :D

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

It sure LOOKS like a Tilkedrome :p

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

That was my first thought when I saw the layout. It's got some trademark Tilke-ness about it.

10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Yea, lots of switchbacks, fans a mile from the circuit and it all fits in a small package. Not to mention a lot of similar-speed corners as well. Elevation changes could save the layout, but those concept images look quite flat to me.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Be interesting to really see the elevations... There's really not that much thrill to an elevation change on a straight.

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

[​IMG]

If only it had those elevation changes.

13. RJames

RJames Registered

Not sure how well this represents the elevations, but looks fantastic!!

[​IMG]

14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This is just an vertical exaggeration used to show how the elevation profile is changing along the track. :)

Looking at those renders and artificial embankments it looks like a pretty flat&fast F1 design.

15. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

at the end of the day I dont care about the elevations right now (more is good though lol), the fact remains it's gonna be the first purpose built racetrack in the UK for 50 years....THAT'S the headline story for me!

...now watch as they cant raise the funds and go bankrupt before the first corner is laid haha :p

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

It's especially tough to tell from aerial photos, but having a look at the topo's of the area, it looks like they'll probably have a couple dozen meters of (gradual) elevation change, maybe. Looking forward to seeing more of what comes of this place.

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It would be if Rockingham Motor Speedway hadn't been built in 2001. ;)

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that's what I thought last night when drifiting off to sleep ;) suddenly hit me, read that 50 years statement on the Circuit Of Wales website though so they need telling haha

although they did word it differently:
    As the most significant capital investment programme in automotive infrastructure in the UK in the last 50 years,

:D

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That sounds like it could mean a round-about in London or an overpass in Brighton. (I WATCH TOP GEAR WOOOO!) and may have nothing to do with racing.