Matchmaker issues and connection problems

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by MileSeven, Nov 15, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

We run two rf2 dedis on a hosted Windows server. Of late, we’ve been seeing two types of issues that we’re not certain of the origin.

I) matchmaker. A (significant?) number of times over the last few weeks or so, our servers disappear from the list. In my case both servers are set up as favourites and I just get ‘no servers found’ for which a refresh does nothing. I can confirm that the decision *are* still running via Remote Desktop. Sometimes closing/restarting one of them kicks the overall system into life. I did wonder if changes for the newest competition system behind the scenes might be interfering with the production matchmaker….?

Ii) Connection issues. On Tuesdays we run quick fire 10 minute races for just over an hour - so 6-8ish races back to back. In the last month or so, one of the races usually fails part way through - a bit of warping and then you’re left on track with the other 5 or so cars disappeared. Occasionally they’ll reappear a lap or so later but usually we have to abandon that race. The important point to note is that no one seems to get ‘connection lost’ type messages…

Is anyone else seeing this kind of thing - and does it sound more like a hosted server issue - or something in the rf2 domain. For what it’s worth, the Win server generally seems to have adequate ram, cpu and bandwidth - so I don’t think it’s an outright resource capacity issue.

2. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

I have a dedi server I use occasionally for testing. Worked great about 6 months ago. I needed to use it this past week and now it doesn't show up in the server list at all. I can direct connect to it fine. All ports are still forwarded, even tried putting it in a DMZ, even tried turning off the firewall completely. Nothing works.

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you using an older build? Not that it should matter.

4. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Nope, I updated it to 1144. I even tried blowing it away and installing it from scratch. Got about 9 hours into this. I'm gonn'a do some packet testing on it next. Maybe something in my Xfinity internet connection got updated/changed or screwed up.

Good to hear from you Coutie. If you ever get some time, come over and run a race with us. Mike Schreiner and I are still plugging away at Stock Cars.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

It doesn't help with the Problem, that Servers are not always shown in the in Game and/or Steam Server List, but you can check my Server List Website, if they appear there.
    I've made that Website because of that Problem and i normally see Servers there, that are not listed in the "official" Server Lists.

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

An update from me:

We made it through this Tuesdays racing without the disappearing cars trick for once…

…but on setting up the new track/car combo for the coming week, the server again did not show up in matchmaker until (unconfirmed if this was the ‘fix’ or just a coincidence - but hard to test..!!) I forced a weekend restart on the dedi. That seemed to kick matchmaker into action and the dedi instantly became visible.

As I said - might be coincidence, might be relevant. Does Restart Weekend have the same effect as Load Track in terms of matchmaker?