Massive drop in performance (fixed after reboot)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Ekimelyobo, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Just installed the new unstable build and have seen a massive drop in framerate. Down from mid 50s at the back of a 15 car grid at silverstone, to 17fps in the same circumstances. No difference if I start at the front of the grid either as the fps counter still says 17fps.

Fresh install. All graphical settings are the same as in build 660. Circuit med, opponent med, player med, texture high, af x2, shadows med, special effects medium, no car or road reflections. HDR on

pre rendered frames set to 1.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Have you tried a fresh install without restoring the UserData folder or plugins?

3. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Thanks Noel. That was my first course of action in an attempt to remedy the problem. No luck.

Removed every trace of rf2, installed on hdd instead of ssd, still the same problem.

Went for a brew, cursed the developers, had an argument with the missus, reinstalled on ssd, restarted pc, bingo!... knocking on 65fps at the back of a 15 car grid at Silverstone.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay so to summarize... If you have a drop in perf, argue with the wife and then reboot.. Hahahaha.

Glad you got it sorted.

5. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

i have opposite. Massive performance boost. Thanks to 14.6 drivers from ATI i could play on medium details with 15 visible opponents. Now i can play graphics maxed out with 15 visible opponents (19 AI overall). 1080p level 1 AA and Fxaa, 8 AF. The biggest perfomance boost for me since game has been released.

6. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

So the title of this post is really misleading, since the two posters who are not Noel both reported fps increases.

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

8. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Misleading?! At the time of writing the headline I was getting 17fps. Hardly misleading. That's unless you think from mid 50s fps to 17fps isn't a massive drop in performance. Now the problem has been resolved I have seen a decent fps boost.

I also find it rather amusing that Noel, who isn't employed by ISI, offered real advice. While you Joe, an employee of ISI, could only find time to complain about the title of the post.

9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Well it looks like an install problem caused your issues. The title is misleading because if correct you and many others would have a performance drop and that is not the case.

10. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

So the title "massive drop in performance" can only be correct if me and many others experience the same problem? Dont know where to start on a comment with logic like that. In fact, I wont.

11. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Yes, because it's not the software clearly that's causing the problem. Why is this so hard to understand?

12. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Nobody said it was the software. I had a huge drop in performance and came to the forum for an solution. What is so hard for YOU to understand?

13. Armando

Armando Registered

I have to agree with Ekimelyobo, the title is not misleading because that was the problem he was experiencing. It does not matter it only happened to him.
    The only thing that is missing is to be tagged as [SOLVED] to indicate that it is no longer a problem, and to help others with possibly the same issue.
    That's my opinion, anyway. :)

14. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I mark it as solved?

15. Armando

Armando Registered

If you can edit the title, you should be able to select a "Prefix" for that.

16. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

big difference for me.
    DW12 at Indy 2013 config 29 AI 29 cars showing
    32 bit = 43fps to 130fps crashed first entry big load on gpu(fan sounds like jet engine) lol
    64 bit = 78fps to 91fps right to track faster load time less load on gpu

don't know how to get screenshot of video settings but had same in both

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

One possible explanation for this is that your graphics card went into safe mode. With my previous card (which I overclocked too much at first) I got this many times and could confirm it from nVidia Inspector as GPU clock rate was half of the stock clock. Reboot helped this and also could be "fixed" by setting GPU clock manually from nVidia Inspector.

18. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

Thanks KeiKei. That might explain the constant 17fps regardless of situation and graphical settings. I use the msi gaming app that came on the disc with my gpu, usually have it on OC mode, though they are factory set presets. I'll do some investigation.

19. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

FPS is better with this 767 x64 for me. Sim is running great. I have FPS locked at 90 and it's rock solid.

20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Sensibly amended title.