Marussia Rear Tyre Temps

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Coanda, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day,

I have a real problem with this car. I've tried all my setup tricks however I cannot get the inner rear tyre temp to heat above the centre rear tyre temp. The obvious quick setup change would be be to lower the rear tyre pressure and increase the rear camber. Is it me or is the a known issue with this vehicles tyre model? Could anyone make a suggestion? Also building up tyre pressure is a problem for me, one that I do not encounter with any other vehicle.

Cheers

mm

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So are you both ruling out your driving being the culprit?

* Sorry mingmong, I'm letting Guy's previous posts shape my thinking and I put you in with him, which isn't fair. Bad forum etiquette on my part there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  4. Coanda

Coanda Registered

No not at all. If you re-read my OP I ask "Is it me"... I am after some advice. Whether it be set up or driving style. I'm not a newb and am a decent steerer so feel free to be technical. Maybe you can provide a setup that you know will work for this issue and I can see how I get on...

5. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

The camber bit is something I've seen on most (all?) cars in rF2 for quite some time now and I believe it's related to this item in the KnownIssues.txt file (see your root rF2 folder):

-Contact patch load distribution model is not final, which means tire pressure does not have the full effect that it should.

The bit about building pressure I'd have to examine more. I'm running in a fun league with the F1 cars so I'll keep an eye on it. I must confess I don't pay much attention to temps or pressures at this point due to the above known issue. I did for a while but it just doesn't seem to make much difference to performance, which is what that note implies to be the case.

Guy must be easily confused. He was told that it was "his driving" when he complained that it wasn't possible to get even front and rear tire wear on the GT cars.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx Matt i was searching that line. :)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I didn't read your post properly. I got my edit in a bit late for you to see it before replying.

I can't offer a setup or direct advice, I've just seen discussions around the place regarding various ISI cars with some people saying the tyres don't work right and others saying after working on their driving style everything's fine. So I tend to imagine a situation where a team running two identical cars has one driver making it work and the other saying, "it's not doing ...," "I can't get it to ..." "the tyres won't ..." despite the engineers helping tweak the setup. At some point the actual driving has to be looked at.

It's not easy to judge because I think we've all seen (=driven) what we consider a crap mod that still generates a following and has people driving fast consistent laps and enjoying close racing. So with enough practice you can adapt to anything, which can make it difficult to judge what's realistic and what isn't.

Anyway, my question (which really was aimed more at Guy) was just intended to keep things open - I find people on both sides are a bit too quick to assume it's either not a problem with the game/mod or that it has to be.

8. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Wise words.

I don't think the camber issue is affected in any meaningful way by driving technique. Technique can affect load distribution on each corner at any given moment and how you do it - including how quickly you transfer the load - has a major effect on the heat in each tire. But driving style can't really affect how heat is distributed across an individual tire. Only setup can really do that, but as the OP has noted it really doesn't matter what you do. You can go down to minimum tire pressures and maximum negative cambers but the rears just continue to have higher center temps after a bit of running. Something just isn't complete there yet.

As for how much of a difference it will make in grip and handling when it is complete, who knows.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Other ISI mods, and other mods, don't suffer this problem I gather? That would seem to indicate it's not so much an issue with the engine itself, so it's either a fault with this specific tyre (model) or something weird in the suspension modelling - or is it an accurate reflection of the car itself? It makes you wonder if aero isn't the only reason Marussia were at the back of the field... :rolleyes:

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

At the same time is the toe effect omitted on the tyre temperature development as well as the general tire pressure has no effect. This along makes it rather a guessing game on optimal setup. So i think the impact of missing features such as the line in your previous post is pretty big.

Does not apply to you specifically Matt.

In general it is a fundamental part and can not simply be omitted but then people question the driving skills of people where the simulation is not complete seems a bit wrong to me. Of course, you can get used to anything but that does not complete the physics or makes it more credible. If people are not allowed to define a error as error it makes no sense to be here. When we talk about vehicle dynamics and fundamentals do I get to the point where currently one fundamental part of physics is only now integrated, such as chassis flex. Just this means the physics was already flawed but nevertheless this was sold as vehicle dynamics simulation and it was for sure not the only one flaw. So please let's not continue there and talk things just pretty. It's a software in developement and pretty normal that there are parts not complete or ready to go.

11. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

No, I see this on many rF2 cars but again I haven't paid much attention to it in months. It just doesn't pay off in performance or lap time to worry about the tire pressures and temp distributions right now, at least in my experience. Getting the right aero and mechanical balance seems to be the critical thing.

12. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

There's truth in what you're saying yet it's also true that the way people have been driving racing sims for decades now has been fundamentally unrealistic, and so you can't divorce the two issues entirely. It's so easy for me to load up a much-loved rF1 or GTR2 mod and find ridiculous crap within 2 minutes. Purpose-built race cars not being able to lock their brakes in a straight line at all, even after they're heated up and with 100% force settings. High torque cars having to be thrown around very hard just to get the rears to break loose under power. Minimal balance change from front/rear load transfer. Very limited adverse effects from excessive sliding and brake locking.

And yet lots of people argue that these mods/sims are the more realistic because of these characteristics. And some of the mods being done for rF2 right now exhibit some of these traits, which indicates that people are doing what I suspected they would - just trying to make rF2 drive like rF1.

It's very tiresome, the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  13. speed1

speed1 Banned

Is also true particularly the tiring part.

14. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Hmm, from those who say it is possible I would love to see some data to back that up. Always in these discussions there is never any input from the vehicle developer. I must say that bugs me a little as this is not the first technical question I have raised regarding vehicles designed by ISI. I completely understand rF2 is in development. It would be nice to know for sure rather than playing guessing games.

Cheers for your input lads.

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree. The attitude in general is awesome. A single yellow animator amused the forum otherwise it is very amysant, while the user must self entertain imho :)

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Toe has an effect on tire temperature. That should be obvious. Camber also change tire temp. distribution. They might not have as big impact as should, due to unfinished contact patch code but for sure, both have.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Possible and i wish it was ready to go.