Make a bigger tgm rack for modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spitfire1, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Very few options. Not saying i can't use the online tools to resize but would be good if we had more variety. Something like this:

upload_2020-10-13_3-40-39.png

I created tgm for the 2005 Murcielago from tires that were much smaller because there wasnt anything else to choose from. How hard can it be to make the most common sports car and supercar road tires for example?

dylbie likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The tyres in the database are based on real tyres. It's no harder for them to make up fictional tyres based on guesswork than it would be for you, though admittedly some experience with ttool would probably avoid some more errors in the initial design phase.

They're not going to source some tyres purely for putting together a database, and then the aspect ratio isn't right for you anyway.

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I think having a full database of tires would be a great idea. The Dev Guide database states that you can send them in, but it is like very few have done it. Just adding additional columns of the mod it came from and the maker. Then having it freely uploaded.

I'm very much a product of the racing I'm seeing. This last weekend was the SCCA Runoffs at Road America. I grabbed some pictured of tires when I was there for future ideas. It would be great that if I got far into a project, that i would be able to "take tires off the rack" and put them on.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

Because you're coming in to rF2 modding late, you've missed the old ISI tire examples. See attached file. Since they're old, it would be worthwhile to recompile them with ttool, though most people won't be able to tell the difference.

In general, though, street tires are few & far between for rF2 because, well, there aren't many street cars in the inventory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  5. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I already looked into that rack you sent. It hasn't got enough variety. Creating this complex tire model then not providing modders with enough templates to work out from is strange. It almost feels like S397 is just showing off and telling us "look how much better we are from ISI" and not actually providing the community with usable simulator. PLEASE S397 SOLVE THIS.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're starting to lose credibility with these S397 digs. 95% of the tyre model is by ISI, and the remaining 5% of changes were made by an ex-ISI employee of S397.

Regardless, you are free to create tyres with any dimension of your choosing. It's not as quick and easy a process as rF1, but the option is there.

I wouldn't want S397 to throw together some fictional tyres with (obviously) no correlation to real performance data, just so there's a full array of rim vs width vs dia available (how many hundreds of tyres are we talking here?). Modders can do that themselves and no one will mistakenly trust them to be accurate.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  7. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Fair enough Lazza and everyone else i will just have to make to with what has been provided. It will slow me down a lot but that is just the way things are these days with rf2.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

But this is because the physics of rF2 are so much more advanced than the rF1 ones.

9. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

In my opinion it's just made more complicated to appear more advanced. They have done tests on rfactor 1 using same car ,same track ,same driver, same conditions, same weather and the laps were almost identical. Lazza the S397 backer might call this a jab at S397 but this is just the cold hard facts. This shows more complex isn't always better except if you are trying to market it to people and make more money then i guess yes it is indeed better because it will generate more revenue but as far as real world simulation goes i am not so certain.

Will Mazeo likes this.
  10. lagg

lagg Registered

If you don't notice the diference between the same car in rF1 and rF2, and rF1 is more easy to do modding, why to make things complicated?

11. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Yes, S397 why?

12. lagg

lagg Registered

I have not explained well.
    I tried to ask, why are you doing modding for rF2 if you consider that it's the same that rF1?
    You could do the same cars with a lot less effort making cars for rF1.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  13. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I am testing rfactor 2 out see if it makes sense to mod for it otherwise i go back to rfactor 1 if it doesn't.

lagg likes this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

If you can't see the differences between rf1 and 2 , maybe you should consider a different hobby. Lap time is not an indicator , more realistic doesn't mean faster , maybe the opposite.

15. Comante

Comante Registered

Beside this, making tires from real data is an expensive and time consuming job. Years ago the process was described in an article. You will never see them creating random tires for modder use, they will eventually make the one needed to them.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To be fair, I don't think you fully understand the rF1 .tbc file, so comparing to rF2 will be difficult. The rF2 model is an entirely different approach.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have one thought about the complexity of things and stepping up. Some philosophy incoming.

It is safe to keep staying at some certain level and just keep on polishing comfortably, modding for rF1 forever, or modding for AC forever... Stepping up, and entering next level like rF2 did is very ambitious and brave, because eventually it is whole new level of a challenge, and whole new level of possible issues for developer. And this is the reason why going to advanced stages might not be perceived better or maybe might be perceived even worse by some people. The fruits of this sim aren't hanging low.

rF2 capability level has surpassed the average level of simracers in terms of physics appreciation and perception, and it is entirely different topic to question if people are in rF2 because they really dig the power of rF2, or if they does it less, but are more hooked on marketing claims and general image. I have spent quite some time in rF2 community by now, and both types of simracers around here exists. Some are able to pick up exactly why they believe and love this sim, others just need to know (to be told) that it is the best and then continue to believe it.

I think it is great that, you, Spitfire, have your own opinion. I think you are just not able to pick out the strength of rF2, and just like lagg suggested you should keep on modding to rF1. Comeback when you will advance further as a modder, rF2 should make sense by that time. Right now it seems like your modding style is just compiling stuff that is already made by someone and then adding little bit to it, it is not modding, sorry if I misjudged some of your efforts, maybe you are great sound modder, I just don't know..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    lagg likes this.
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Louder, for the people in the back. Tho laps being identical doesn't mean much, you are right, but not for that reason.
    I bet if they make an rF3 this tire model will either be dropped or strongly simplified ;) as amazing as it is not even S397 seem to be dealing with it well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But don't give up. We need more mods here

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you saying the physical tyre model isn't performing well? I'd be interested to know in what ways.

Now: temperature influence, low pressure effects, pickup, actual tread effects (especially in the wet), more transparency on wear, support for reusing tyres, and many more features that could relatively easily be added to this or any other model, I agree there's long been gaps there that hopefully will begin to be filled.

The underlying model? No issues there for me.

Spitfire1 likes this.
  20. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Hey i completely understand where you are coming from. I also never said Rfactor 2 was not advanced or not accurate in fact it is brilliant and just as brilliant as Rfactor 1. What i was rather saying that it is too complicated and gives in return very small if any gains in terms of realism from it's predecessor Rfactor 1. Now yes this is my opinion and it is a strong one but i am not one to sit on my opinions until things get sour but rather see where i stand as a modder in this great community of Rfactor 2.