Lowering aerodynamic downforce.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys, I am trying to lower the aerodynamic downforce, but in the HDV, I only see value's with "drag".

In my opinion is drag a value of air resistance and not pushing the car to the ground, right?

But than again; I can't make up what value to use.
    Anyone here with experience on the matter? And would you like to share that? ;)

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if this is right, but try using negative numbers.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Coutie. Would you know by any chance what value's I should alter?

4. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Lift is your word. Negative lift = Positive downforce

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

AAAHHHH, when you say it like that......it actually make sense! Strange that they put it like this, never would have guessed.

Thanks a lot, I get busy now :)

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I was looking at our mod files, and was thinking, why do we have negative downforce, but it's like Raintyre said.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Found it, got the lower downforce and gave it way to much, just to try if I found the right one.
    Front wing and rear wing I did. In diffuser, I can't see the right line; if there is lift, it has to do with drag.

Problem is; I can't make a corner right now without going way to wide (I did that, so that's okay) but I still can't make the car oversteer under power.
    It's not the tires, they already have some weird low value's.
    I can't seem to find the line to get it sideways easier.

Any suggestions on that one guys?

8. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

At what speeds do you want to be the car behave to oversteer? I assume that this is at low speeds. If that is the case you need to look at your mechanical grip and not the aerodynamic grip - would be a poor race car if you are loosing grip at high speeds with all those diffusors and wings (as long the setup isn't wrong)

Mechanical grip is mainly influenced by tires and suspension. First thing I would recommend is to look at the tire model for the lateral grip - those values might be too high?

Sent with Tapatalk

9. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

I think most of diffuser parameters change lift in some way, but probably the easiest to use is the first value of this parameter:
    DiffuserBasePlus=(-1.033, 0, 0.970, 65.0)

First value is the base for lift.

Before doing anything I would suggest you make sure:
    -You have engine torque enough on driven wheels
    -Driven wheels are the rear ones >>> Wheeldrive=REAR
    -You already use oversteering garage settings for mechanical grip (high power differential, hard rear suspension, low rear cambers, short gears, weight balance, etc...)
    -Traction control is off :D

After that, perhaps you can try :
    EngineInertia= // (engine .ini file) >> I think reducing inertia makes the engine more agressive, so probably driven wheels tend to spin more easily...

Anyway, if reducing rear downforce and rear tyres grip doesn't work, probably you need a different suspension which transfers loads in desired way, and tyres which respond to those load changes as you wish. That is not a simple task..

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks guys; lowering mechanical grip>> of course!! I just used the tires for that and the aero grip.
    Now, with your help; I think I'm pretty much in the ballpark; the car has grip at high speeds but when revving to early exiting slow corners; you have to be very carefully.

See, I'm adjusting an existing F1 mod to the 2014 standards, using 12.600 rpm and it's hard to get the car tail happy with that low revs and not getting an insane topspeed.
    It's going well now, thanks for the help guys!!