Loving the Skip Barber at Limerock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WallyM, Dec 11, 2012.

1. WallyM

WallyM Registered

I haven't been here for a long time, but last night I gave the new skip barber a go at Limerock. I thought it was excellent. The weird feeling was that I was actually at a track. With the track marshals waving you out from the "carpark", following other cars out onto track, seeing marshals standing around the track, waving flags - it was very immersive. I was unfamiliar with the car, taking it easy, seeing where I could push it... trying to stay out of the way of the other cars... slowly getting faster... it all felt very real somehow, like I've barely felt in other sims. Watching the track rubber up on the racing line was great!

The sounds are great - the handling is great... you have to be careful with the car, treating it gently, but it promotes and rewards smooth driving, probably like the real training cars.

It hasn't got any where near the visual polish of pCARS, but beats it hands down for feel and immersion. The "visor cam" is pretty cool too. You don't look through any stupid letterbox kind of effect - just the plastic of the visor is visible and changes according to the direction of the sunlight on your visor.

I Just wanted to keep lapping and lapping. Love it.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes things are getting good, I'm really looking forward to future content from ISI now, they've showed what they can do,

The future is looking bright ( I did wonder a few times ),

Roll on gold

3. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Mostly agree with the OP. I've been critical of RF2's graphics, but there's a lot of great looking stuff going on at Lime Rock.

I find this combo (with Regional) vastly more fun, immersive and convincing in the handling of the car than iRacing's - which I know well. In fact, I'd say this is the best thing in sim racing for me.

Generally, I think the whole changing environment thing in RF2 is a massive step forward for immersion. Changing conditions, and even just the sky not looking the same every lap, makes it feel like your in a real environment rather than a static computer generated one.

The negatives in RF2 for me are that there's still quite bit of flickering, and rendering distance issues. Some graphical elements e.g. track marshalls definitely need a make over. But more worrying at this point is the vehicle dynamics when things get bumped into - the cars do tend to bounce off barriers as though they have no mass/inertia, and even seem to float around a bit in the wind rather oddly. I'm wondering whether that's still a work on progress or it's what we'll have to live with...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  4. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

For me the best combo car/track in the years i've been here in the sims is this the barber (regional), is awesome, and the limerock is one of the best circuit i've ever seen in terms of details, so like say adrian, "the future is looking brillant"

Thanks ISI.

5. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

6. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

Great tip, I have some spare time next two days, updating it all and going to rock the lime :)

7. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

"Loving the Skip Barber at Limerock"

Me too :)
    I just finished a Regional with 20 AI cars and had a ball.
    Near the end of the race I was in 16th place and trying as hard as I could to gain on the car ahead. It took 3 laps but little by little I caught him on the last last. I went into turn 1 a bit hot, but held it together. In the left hander after the 1st turn I slid around him on the outside. Nearly lost it, but was able to correct and gas it. He lost a little momentum since he cut in tight to give me room (don't know why some think you can't race the AI) and I got him going into the right hander. I held him off okay with him filling my mirrors for the rest of the lap up to the last corner. I again tried to cook it through there, to get a good run down the straight to make sure I kept my hard earned 15th place. Well, I started sliding and almost caught it, but didn't.
    By the time I got back on track, I was P21 out of 21 :(

Still, it was great fun :)

8. samuelw

samuelw Registered

The Skippy is a great drive. Today my favorites are the Skippy and the T280. The Skippy appears to be the more technical and rewarding ride while the T280 is just an adrenaline rush (in a virtual sort of way). Lime Rock Park fits the Skippy like a glove. They are meant for each other like cookies and milk. Good job ISI, keep up the good work.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I am too. After I learned how to drive it. I got my butt kicked a lot on just 95% AI.

After about 400 laps of learning, I have won 2 races. If I had to improve the car, it would be adjustable wings (Like the old rTrainer).

10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Yes, another "me too" here, but I also love racing it at mid-ohio and Mills Metro outer loop A. Both the regional and national are great fun. I am playing in sterescopic 3D and the level of immersion is phenominal. Stringing together all the corners with tyres squealing for grip, car drifting out, feathering the throttle to steer through the corner, lifting off to induce more oversteer.....fantastic fun! I don't understand people's claims of ice racing, for me this is brilliant.

11. willz

willz Registered

you should write books

12. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Thanks.
    I used to write the post race reports for F1gamers.net F1 seasons back in the day. We did 100% races and I would view the replays and write the reports.

13. domhnall

domhnall Registered

Yes i agree. Those 'on ice' comments annoy me to be honest. I just takes a little bit a practice to understand how to control these cars. Rather than being on ice, there's a wonderful sense of being on the limit with these cars.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm in 3d too ( nvidia surround ) having a blast!

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Sorry skippys and goodbye, Lola T280 stole my heart.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Think the Lola will be great when it's a little more finished (I've not drove a real one but it seems some parts of the physics are missing & not enough going on with it ) still fun at ths stage in their development though

The skippys are much closer to completion imoa

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This car feels amazing with my new T500 RS wheel. Though, any suggestions how I could make the curbs and bumps feel little less brutal? My whole desk shakes when I hit a curb with speed :D Multiplyer was on 1.0 (default) and ffb smoothing on 4 (default also for T500 RS).

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tig

Go into to your thrustmaster profile settings & set overall strength to 70%, then reset in sim force as you prefer

The high end forces should be less aggressive now

Good luck

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

My settings are already 60/100/100/10/0. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ok

Then in controller (in sim)
    Save your controller & name with a name you'll remember

Then go into your rfactor directory
    To controller.ini (of the name you saved as)

& reduce the amounts associated with rumble strips & pull factor etc
    Also reduce the amount (think its set to 1.5 by default) in the impacts line

You can get everything just right

****** You MUST load this profile again in the controller section in sim after making the changes to use the revised profile