Looking for a REAL fix for CSL DD grinding / damper loss bug

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by SeventhHand, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I recently purchased the Clubsport-DD and the problem is also present on this base, I also get a harsh clunky feeling. I've tried all manor of settings but to no avail. My previous base was the CSW_2.5, I'm seriously considering going back to this base. I owned this base for four yrs and never had any problem with this base. So at the moment I am bit disappointed with the Clubsport-DD.

SeventhHand likes this.
  2. SeventhHand

SeventhHand Registered

Does the bug happen like an on / off switch triggered by an action like resetting the car to the pits or restarting the race? Before the random action you do, the FFB is fine and suddenly it feels like a really poorly made gear driven wheel base, the FFB seems to have lost some detail and it feels like it could even be slightly damaging to continue trying to use it?

That's what is happening to me and after talking with others, it seems there could be two separate issues with the Fanatec wheel bases. The other issue that isn't like what I'm experiencing supposedly feels like sandpaper grit when turning the wheel that gradually gets worse each time you reset to the pits, but my issue does not happen gradually, it happens suddenly like a switch was flipped.

Also, for me, turning the spring and damper settings in the Fanatec software keeps the bug from happening but also makes the FFB feel terrible, easily the worst out of modern sims and most comparable to NFS Shift 2 in FFB which I just can't do anymore as a fix. Turning the damper and spring settings to 0% doesn't have any effect on your issue though? Just trying to gather more info so we can say for certain there are multiple separate issues and how it affects each of us.

3. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

For me it's sometimes a gradual deterioration and sometimes it happens suddenly. I get the gritty sandpaper feeling sometimes and also the clunky damaged feeling but not at the same time, it seems to vary with the car mod and also a severe crash can trigger it. Up until the change the FFB feels great. The problem is really starting to annoy me.

4. SeventhHand

SeventhHand Registered

Interesting, I've never had the gradual deterioration bug, if I did maybe I just didn't notice it and it was too subtle. The clunking feeling sounds like the issue I encounter regularly but strange to hear that you're almost getting both bugs at different times.

I'm also in the same boat of trying out rF2 a couple years ago with my G920, loved it and bought almost all the DLC and put hundreds of hours into it. Bought my CSL DD thinking it was going to be the greatest FFB experience known to man, and while it definitely is while it's working, I've been fighting this issue since I hooked up my DD for the first time, which really puts a damper on the fun.

I'm trying to not let this known issue get buried as people forget about it, and I'm hoping that any fixes in LMU can be implemented in rF2. I'm worried that the writing on the wall says this might not happen unfortunately as S397 will have their hands full with LMU for a least the next couple years.

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Try turning off fxaa in nvidia control panel...

This was causing big frame drops after returning to the pits.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  6. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Hello Highlandwalker, wait a little, I was in the same situation as you when changing and after time I don't think the same.
    My advice on setup (using pilAuto template):

1) INGAME:
    - Software / Custom / 880 degrees.
    - FFB Strength (ingame setting) = +100%
    - FFB multi (per car setting) : majority of cars = 73% and adjustable.
    To avoid rFactor 2 software clipping but also hardware clipping related to the peak settings in fanatec software).
    - Min force = 0%.

2) DRIVER WHEEL:
    - SENSITIVITY = Manual / 880 degrees.
    - FORCE FFB = 100%
    - FF SCALE = PEAK
    - NATURAL DAMPING = 0
    - NATURAL FRICTION = 0
    - NATURAL INERTIA = 0
    - INTERPOLATION = 0
    - FORCE EFFECT INTENSITY = 100
    - FORCE = 100
    -SPRING = 0
    - DAMPER = 0

I have never had a gritty / notchy FFB problem, always the latest Fanatec driver, CSW 2.5 Compatibility Mode, and after many tests and hours wasted configuring and adjusting the FFB I have always returned to this configuration (I call it 'The Purists'). Right now it is a delight to drive rFactor2, there is no other sim that gives you that feeling when going to the limit.

Edit: It is true that I suffer from violent steering wheel turns when restarting the race if I do not do so by restarting the warmup first. And from time to time I have hurt my fingers. It must be said, but this is more the fault of Fanatec as he will release a firmware one day to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  7. SeventhHand

SeventhHand Registered

@doddynco - I will have to give that a try at some point, I tried disabling replay recording with the same recommendation from someone else but it unfortunately didn't help the issue.

@delapecs - Hello, sorry to be this person but please read the earlier entries of the thread, the reason you aren't having issues is because you have disabled the spring and damper in the Fanatec software, which is what I called the short term band-aid fix. Disabling the spring and damper also disables a lot of the finer details and informative FFB in rF2 and makes the FFB feels sloppy and terrible.

Some people claim they can't feel a difference between it on and off but I can tell like night and day and I can't continue to play rF2 without all FFB features working. Disabling the friction coefficient in the json also disables features of the FFB, just in a slightly different way, but still leaves the wheel feeling like it has much less weight and resistance to it when in car.