Logitech Profiler settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RCRacing, Feb 25, 2012.

1. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Was wondering if folks could post their profiler settings for rF2?

2. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Effects strength 101%
    Spring effect 0%
    Damper effect 0%

Centering Spring Strength 50%
    536 degrees

In game car specific FFB multi 50-80% depending on car.
    Controller.ini Steering effects strength="7000.00000, Steering torque filter="0"

Still not completely happy with my settings, but getting there.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Using a G27:

Effects 105%
    Spring effect 0%
    Damper effect 0%
    Centering spring off
    Centering spring strength 0%
    Combined pedals off
    Allowing games to change settings off
    400° rotation

In-game FFB 100%.

Feedback and overall handling feel absolutely great. It was never easier or more intuitive for me to get into a simulation like rFactor 2, and I didn't even had to change FFB settings in the controller.ini...

I never understood why someone would use the centering spring btw. My real car doesn't magically turn my steering wheel back to central position when standing still as well. ;)
    The steering wheel will be pushed towards the center by the FFB effects of the simulation when going fast, not by some "magic effects".

4. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

I know English isn't your first language, but you do sound a tad arrogant, maybe it's lost in translation. Maybe your car has power steering, but last time I drove a go-kart I distinctly remember the wheel having some weight and that at slower speeds it definately felt as if there was not power steering, to it and if you took your hands off the wheel it would want to center, same goes for a 1960s race car. Anyhow that's my personal choice. This a 'post your settings' thread, not attack 'laugh at others do choose to do things differently to me' thread.

5. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

Centering Spring of 50% is a must have

6. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

why?

7. idiotboy

idiotboy Registered

Hello ZMC888,
    Since your point is this isn't a thread to attack other posters - why are you doing it yourself?

And since we're on the subject - If you are going to comment as an expert yourself - then you should know that a Kart has extreme centering because of the inbuilt camber/caster angles designed to deal with a rigid rear axel set-up. So no comparison at all with a normally sprung car. As far as 60's race car I assume you must have some experience?

From my own experience I owned a sixties Lotus Elan with full race independant suspension and I can assure you it had no strong centering.

Roberts' comment about centre springing is actually very valid since this subject has always been up for debate. His point is that he is trying to help a fellow simmer asking for advice and there ARE two strongly held views on centre springing.

There now I've had my say too

Have a nice day:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Meanwhile, back on topic.

Using DFGT:

Effects 106%
    Spring effect 0%
    Damper effect 0%
    Centering spring enabled
    Centering spring strength 0%
    Combined pedals off
    Allowing games to change settings on
    900° rotation

In-game FFB .85 to .95 (depending on car)

9. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

This could very well be, I'm sorry if it sounded this way. Don't want to sound rude in any way, just wanna discuss on this. :)
    What I meant is that I really don't know why the centering spring is even the default setting in the profiler, because when thinking about it, it doesn't make any sense (to me).

What I mean is that the centering spring setting will give you a permanent force which will try to pull your steering wheel to its center position, no matter what. This force is not affected by the sim, it's permanently active and laid on top of the effects which come from the sim. This has nothing to do with powersteering of a car. In a real car, your wheel will not push back towards the center when you're standing at some red lights and turn your wheel a couple of times. It will stay in that position. The 'weight' in the steering wheel when turning it should come from the FFB and not from a force which is permanently active in all situations. In rFactor 1, the LeoFFB plugin did that pretty well for me. It's much harder to turn the steering wheel when standing or driving at low speeds compared to driving at higher speeds due to higher friction of the tires when standing.

Some goes for oversteering. When I turn my wheel too much into a corner the front wheels will lose their grip, causing the steering to become very 'light' or 'loose'. When using the centering spring, I cannot feel this effect properly because it 'overrides' the FFB and still wants to push to the center, which it shouldn't, because this would tell me that the front tires still have a bit of grip while the car already lost the grip on the front end.

Without the centering spring, it feels much more like the real deal for me.

Offtopic:
    I even know quite a bunch of people who are driving with no FFB at all. I don't know how they can drive like this, I wouldn't even be able to do a single lap without spinning the car. :D

10. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Tx so much for the replies. I didnt meaan to start anything between fellow simmers. Myself am going with no center spring to maybe a little bit. Please dont bicker on my account. There are all valid points of view on this. Tx again fellas.

11. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Sorry Robert,
    It's just the translation thing, obviously, although we really are straying a long way off topic and this really should be in another thread. I'd be happy to talk about wheel set-ups and why, there but as we are here anyway.....If you notice with a real car that doesn't have power steering the vehicle has very heavy steering at stationary speed and gets progressively lighter as speeds increase. This in my view is a problem with all sims and has been highlighted in another thread http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2620-Rfactor-2-Beta-A-comprehensive-constructive-review. Ideally I'd prefer to have some kind of linear weight on the steering rather than spring, but having driven karts I quite enjoy a center spring feel as a way around this problem of the wheel weight feeling much too light at slower speeds. Also if you drive a car without power-steering and let your hands off the wheel the wheel will center itself. I know some people see this as a 'canned effect', but I still feel the other effects perfectly well and I'm happy with the feel. Set at lower percentages its not ridiculous and you can still feel over-steering effects pretty well. I have by no means finished playing with the wheel settings yet anyway and may well end up using a lot less center spring.

You seem a bit confused, mate. This thread isn't 'lets discuss setups and get into some debate thread' it's to post your Logitec profile, and that's all I did. I was happy to leave it there. But other people start questioning how I set up my own bloody wheel! When did I say I was an expert? How does driving a 60's Lotus Elan qualify you to know about 1960s open wheel racers? Why don't you post your Logitec profile?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  12. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

100% agree with Robert about the centering spring. I always leave it OFF for the exact reason he mentioned: it's a very unrealistic force that makes the wheel always go back to center. I also make sure to keep damping at 0 as well.

I love how rFactor2 automatically sets the steering wheel rotation in game, so I don't have to mess with that.

13. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

G27 I dont use the Profiler! I like the feel of RF2 with its Stock settings!

14. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Actually having been playing with the FF settings in the controller.ini much more exact effects can be achieved by using this than by using the Logitec profiler. Although interestingly RF2 has its own center spring and dampening effects built in, so I'm not really sure what all the 'anti center spring' purists are on about. Leave everything in the profiler off except 'Overall Effects Strength' above 100% and your preferred Degrees of Rotation, but check Enable Centering Spring and Allow game to Adjust Settings on.

To me the steering feels unrealistically light at stationary and slow speeds, and the wheel 'rumble' type effects are too strong as Stock Settings. Doing things like lowering the effects strength, increasing the 'torque sensitivity' and changing 'Steering spring coefficient' an 'Other Spring Coefficient' in the controller.ini can really improve the feel much more accurately.

15. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

Rfactor 2 default FFB, First sim where I haven't had to play around for hours , just get in and drive :)

16. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

How do you run without profiler? Sorry if sound like a newb. Im not just started using FFB awhile back and want to get my G27 working properly. Ive never been able to get the right feel. Im running W7 64 bit and in controll panel dont see a "game Controller".

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Your "game controller" is found in "Devices and Printers".

18. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Getting to the Windows game controller app in W7 is a bit convoluted, but it's there: Open your Control Panel, and depending on how you have your settings, you'll go to Devices and Printers...

Start...Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers
    or
    Start...Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
    then right-click your controller and choose “Game Controller Settings”

Alternately, if you want direct access to it, you can easily create a shortcut with this target: "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL joy.cpl"

19. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

I set my Profiler as per the rF1 HistoriX 1.9 setup PDF which was released before rF2 Beta.

The only differences are..

I run with 2% centering spring so that I have some feel of what the rear of the simulated car is doing.. otherwise I have to use visual cues which are not as immediate as having some feel can be.

And I reduced my degrees of rotation to 270 because I am a lazy old bloke that doesn't want to have to turn and turn and turn to get it around a curve... and the in-car wheel then also turns the same amount as my G25 wheel does. This means I have to reduce the amount of steering lock in each car setup to suit my driving style in rF1.

In rF2 I have not had to touch the steering lock settings for some reason and find the wheel is perfectly weighted for me most of the time.

20. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

[QUOTEAlternately, if you want direct access to it, you can easily create a shortcut with this target: "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL joy.cpl"[/QUOTE]

Tx so much. I used this option.