Little well known secret

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

If your funds are low, and you are bored of decaffeinated tracks, why don't you try lapping Toban 24 h?
    Yes, it's a fictional track, but so fun and challenging to drive.

Cheers.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Always been a great track. More quality fictional stuff would always be good - and can't ever be superseded by laser-scanned official versions! Huzzah!

jonathon.bisset and mantasisg like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am also quite a fan of proper fantasy racetracks, especially if they are somehow based on existing roads or terrains.

4. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

It might be fun to build a track based on the roads we live near and drive on. I love to be able to make a track of some of the roads I used to ummm drive on when I was younger.

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

If you look back at some of the old ISI content it has a certain charm to it, like a tongue-in-cheek kind of vibe.
    Examples being details like the AC Cobra tyres being called 'good time', or the easter eggs around the tracks such as the podium at Toban or the 'this is a sign' signs. Also the obscure content such as the quad, the RC car, D4, etc.
    I know that a lot of this was to get around licensing or get affordable licences, but it all kind of gives the feel of being some kind of quirky science experiment sandbox simulator, rather than a polished finished product. This was something that it was obviously criticised for, but it gave it a certain level of uniqueness.
    rF2 is very serious now, it's out to get more mainstream customers, and although this is a good thing it has lost a bit of it's personality and playfulness that made it different! Much of the old content is extremely good, and at the risk of sounding sentimental, it even feels a bit nostalgic at times.

UGM 133A and Love Guitars n Cars like this.
  6. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm having fun at Mills with BMW CS.

Love Guitars n Cars likes this.
  7. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

That would be fun. I live in the mountains and there are numerous roads that could easily be used for rally special stages or hill climb events.

8. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

That stuff definitely made it feel like a passion project, something that seems to be missing from Studio 397s approach. ISI also had a detailed page for each car that talked in depth about them, all from the mechanics to how to drive them properly.

pkelly and green serpent like this.
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

ISI had a certain way of doing things in a unique way that's for sure. It shows especialy on their historic tracks that still have that nice feeling and flair. I haven't checked the AMS2 version of historic Spa, but from what I've seen, the rF2 version still has that little extra touch that other historic tracks in other sims lack for some reason. Same goes for historic Monza. When I drive those tracks in AC or AMS2 I don't have the feeling of a time travel, as everything feels flashy. With the rF2 historic tracks there is just something special and hope that S397 sees this at one point and gives the tracks what they really deserve. This stuff made me also believe that Toban and Mills were real racetracks when I started racing rF1 lol :D

10. redapg

redapg Registered

The D4 was not made by ISI, but they integrated it into rFactor 2 for some Time, as default Content. ;)

green serpent and Emery like this.