Limiting number of cars by type possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Goanna, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Ok, let's say I'm running a online series using the the GT3 pack vehicles, can I limit vehicles to say 4 of each eg 4 Bentleys, 4 Corvettes etc. The reason I want to do this is that currently the majority of drivers will select the "perceived" faster vehicle and the other vehicles won't get much of a look in and I'd like to have all types running in all races.

Cheers
    G

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Your talking about AI? would be nice. Only way I can think to do it is create 4 new .veh files for each car and add a new class for them.
    That way you should be able to choose only the class you made and that might trick the game to give you closer to what want.
    You still might have to boot a couple but you should quickly be able to set it how you want.

If its for online then the above still applies
    But from memory in the multiplayer. json file has a line to stop double up cars.

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Not AI, was wanting it for an online series, might just get on ts and tell people to pick another vehicle...might piss some off but hey life's a bitch eh

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Use a varied "nude girl skinpack" and you will probably get people's attention onto other cars.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

For pickup racing, I don't think there is much you can do, if you plan to manage a championship you just need to assign a car to each player and create customized skin for each one. Car/pilot selection could be made when signin up, or random before championship begin.

ebeninca and Goanna like this.
  6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

That'd probably actually work :)

SPASKIS likes this.
  7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Could you tell me more about creating additional .veh files? What should I pack them into? .rfcmp update package for a mod? I am also looking for a quickest way to produce a subset of cars into a single class for AI racing, as not all mods come nicely structured by class/year etc.

I've spent time to build something without driver name duplicates and with more balanced grid out of BTCC mod, by producing .rfmod. It worked but was quite painful and most of all I don't understand how to update .rfmod once it is packaged by the mas2 tool. Is there a way to modify .rfmod without mas2 tool, using text editor, and then just repackage things to avoid the UI?

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I haven't tried making new skins to add to a mod, just make skins for a mod. but I know @bears has done it with the Aussie Legends mod.
    This should help with the custom car. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-skinning-tutorial.105993/
    Once you have the new .veh file you can open with notepad and make a new class. If the class has more than one word put underscore instead of space. A space makes both words a separate class.

When making anything with the mas2 tool you need to press DONE after creating a vmod or rfcmp. This lets the mas2 tool save the file so you can re-edit or update it later. If you don't it wont be in the list of files you can edit/update.

You can't edit a rfcmp with text editor.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  9. bears

bears Registered

Iron wolf I do what you do quite a bit as I only race off line I really don't like the way the alt skins work you have not got the control. I like to create a race or a series eg Bathurst 12 hour 2016 as example

My approach is unpack the teams mas of mod vehicle you want to race and get an example veh file you can then edit it like Nib has said making up your own class and category if you want for example you may make a class for a race or a series then your cars will show under that rather than the original mod.

Then you need to give your veh files a different name to the ones in the mod or they won't show up in game I usually collect all the skins and veh files I want say a certain race or year or skins I have made in a folder on my pc per car so if it was gt cars I would have a folder for BMW, merc, Porsche etc I then edit the veh files and rename them just add _a to the current name or rename them completely as long as it is different to the one in the mod you don't need to rename the dds files it's easier if you don't as then you have to change the veh files reference to the dds etc but you can if you want

Once you have your skin pack finalised use the mas tool to create a mas file name it something like mod_teams_yourcriteria eg btcc_honda_teams_2016

Once you have this mas file just copy it into the install directory of the vehicle with the other mas files main,teams etc

The game reads it and loads it if all goes to plan. If you want to make changes just edit repack as the same name and copy over the top of your last one. To me this way is a lot cleaner and easier to keep track of if the mod you are using upgrades just move your skin pack into the new install directory. This way you don't need to create rfcmp files just mas files you can drop in the install directory

Hope this makes sense and helps you

Nibiru likes this.
  10. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am afraid this approach won't work with copy protected stuff like this DLC.
    You won't be able to make a new install package from the base package.
    As Spaskis kindly indicated me, you need to do an update of the base package 1.85 with your own team mas using the Mas tool, and then create a vmod which will take into account only this later version of the mod.
    Yes it's simple, user friendly and explained in RF2 documentation (at least the vmod creation in the Steam tutorials).

Simpler approach it to create virtual drives of all the skins you want, and give them a new class My_Own_GT3. Select afterwards this new class.

Cheers.