Latest W10 Update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mark Fuller, May 5, 2018.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Just read this on FB

"Consider holding off the Windows 10 4/18 update.
    We do not yet have solid confirmation, but it appears the Windows 10 April 2018 Update causes issues with USB devices such as steering wheels and pedals. Drivers are being removed, and after re-installation they appear unstable. We're not sure whether this is something the wheel manufacturers or Microsoft have to fix
    ."

Yesterday, halfway through a session, my Oculus stopped working and when trying to do something about it, I had several BSoD with the error: System_Thread_Exeception_Not_Handled. Did some research and tried most things, but could only cure this by restoring to a previous date. I suspect that I suffered with the above mentioned issue, but now fear that W10 will update itself again. I have the Home version and as far as I can see, it is an automatic update and cannot be turned off. Can anyone advise otherwise?

Thanks

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm currently unable to race, my wheel and pedals are just sitting to the side while I await the return of my video card from a repair center. How can one tell if the April update has been applied already?

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I don't know what the build number is, sure some of the clever people on here will let us know. Mine is currently showing Version 1709 OS Build 16299.371

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For those who have been impacted by this update :

What are the problems you had at the wheel and pedal?
    Especially the T500RS / T3PA PRO.

Thank's

5. Louis

Louis Registered

is it possible to revert w10 updates?
    How do i prevent my windows10 to update until we get a fix to related problems?

6. Corti

Corti Registered

7. Corti

Corti Registered

Louis and Mauro like this.
  8. Corti

Corti Registered

For now, no problems for me. TS500RS & ProtoSimTech pedals.

9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Windows ten uninstalled all my drivers but after reinstalling then all was good,I’m not sure but I think the build is 1803

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Version 1803 Build 17134.1
    Seems to have a problem with Logitech software (amongst others).
    Hotfixes to various problems expected with monthly Windows Update on 8/05.
    Last night the game crashed a couple of times on the PC and the steering wheel of a G920 user and a G27 user locked to one side (once full right, other time full left) forcing a manual restart.
    Never experienced this before.
    Dedi Server did not have any problems.
    Now reinstalling W10 17134.1 clean with a USB stick.
    New installation program is available here but maybe advisable to stay with version 1709 for the moment :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    "Download Tool Now"

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm at build 1709. There should be some way to BLOCK the update. [I'm not saying there is...I'm just saying there "should' be...]

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Windows Destructor Update.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I updated mine yesterday and the worst issue I had was Windows claiming my mic was not working even though my non Windows ears could quite clearly hear it working in my headphones.
    I eventually found the problem whilst turning off the never ending "share your data to enhance your Windows experience.
    I felt so stupid. Fancy looking in audio recording and playback options to make the mic work. :oops:
    It's just logical to have it here: Settings>Privacy Properties>Microphone>Allow Apps to use Microphone ON
    The ever caring Microsoft remind you the choice is yours if an app can access the mic but Windows has full access to the mic.

Also remember for USB, go to Control Panel / Device Manager. Check the Properties of all the USB and HID listings to see if the Power Management hasn't been set to turn off devices.

I have Win 10 Pro and use the Local Group Policy Editor to prevent Windows updating any hardware drivers. The update didn't reset this option which was good to see.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/ho...from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I have a 3-day weekend coming up so figured it best to do this update now (via Windows Update Assistant) so as to fix any potential issues now and not when I wanna play, see you on the other side...hopefully!

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There was another small update yesterday which I think might have addressed the USB issue. I can't quite remember what the update notes said.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Update went fine for me, T300, G25 Pedals and other USB devices all working as before.

19. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’ve had and stuttering since the April update,my green and purple bar never used to fluctuate but now it’s alive with mini spikes around the big spike,fps are fine but stuttering