Large texture tiled allot / used allot in sceene V more small textures

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jameswesty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Just trying to get a general rule of thumb for Gmoter 2 :)

whats a generally good size MB of total track textures ? ( does Gmote rmanage things so this is not an issue? )

Does G moter prefer large texture sheets or lots of small ones ? ( For other projects I would use large texture sheets for Textures that are always present in the game / on the screen and small textures for objects that are likely to be loaded and unloaded often does this make sense for Gmoter ?)

Is a general texture size is 512x512 a good base rate for most textures ?

Is it better to use individual 256x256 texture sheets for small assets or use one 512x512 texture and shair that across multiple assets ?

I realize in allot of cases its specific to the task in hand and I just need to test things out to get a "feel" for what works well But anny heads up would save me allot of time and help me focus on the art rather than the implementation.

Just want to say thanks for the community so far for Quick responses and lots of help CHEERS ! :)

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Well, you have to consider that the Materials are the limiting factor. For this reason, it's not a bad idea to combine smaller textures using the same material settings into one large map if they are loaded at the same time. It's not a good idea to combine textures that will never be loaded at the same time (because this means it would load the other half for no reason). 2048x2048 seems to be the generally accepted maximum still.

When working on mapping/textures/materials, always keep in mind that you want to keep the material count as low as possible, without compromising the quality.

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Makes sense

Cheers :)

4. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I have few textures in 3072x2048 (main road textures)

RF2 can handle this?

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I doubt it, That's an illegal size for DDS anyway.

6. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Thanks Alex.