lap time comparison

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruudjuh, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

Yesterday I had the idea to comparis my own laptimes to real world laptimes, since I'm a big Renault fan I started with the megane @Spa Francorchamps (I've been to the real event last year) the real life pole time was a 2.24.202 and I managed to drive a 2.25.361, next tested the 3.5 formula renault. The real life pole time was a 1.57.423 and myself only managed to do a 2.06.156 this big gap was a bit disturbing. (I know I'm not a professional racing driver, but since I've managed to get within a second of the pole time with the megane I expected more or less the same with the formula renault)

The question is what am I doing wrong with the formula renault (both the megane and the formula renault had a minor tweak in the setup, but could be considered to have default setups) Also the fomula renault upgrades are high downfoce package and the 4E (STD) rear roll centre spring.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think open wheelers performance in rf (both in rf1 and rf2) are it's biggest problem. Every time I watch F1 races for example I see how much easier it looks than driving rf series. Codemasters recent f1 games gaptured the feeling of driving a F1 car better IMO. All formula cars should be gripfest in my opinion. Something like T5 Series.

F2 are ok (haven't tried them for a while but I remember those being pretty drivable) but others F3.5 and FISI are too unstable and low grip.

Haters gonna hate :D

But I will look for my lap times compared to real life times too. Good idea :)

3. frankwer

frankwer Registered

The road surface need to be rubbered in properly to get open wheelers to grip properly.

4. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

They are tricky to drive, especially on a green track, but I thought I should mention that the FR3.5 and the FISI have both improved a lot over the years since rFactor2 went into public beta - they are both a lot more stable now, especially the Formula Renault.

The Skip Barber is a different story, but I believe they have done a very good representation of how this car feels to drive. It's a funny little thing.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Whatta hell?!?

The formula ISI and FR3.5 are not hard to drive, and saying that the FISI isnt gripfest is just weird. Maybe not going with a default setup on green track might help.
    FISI is absolutely the best F1 sim experience so far of any formula game ever. How CM F1 series handles is simcade compaired to rF2.

Compairing times to reallife times at the moment is redundant. The game isnt finished, so the times arent what they will be in the end. I sure hope that its not just anyone who goes and beats real life pole times which are really good times for any particular track with that particular vehicle. If there is to be a realism behind a sim, which is the most important part to make it a sim, you have to be a damn good driver to achieve the damn good results.

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I beg you. I really beg you... tell me that you are joking.

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Name a better one... just one, 1, uno, jeden, un, один.

8. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Put a damn good simracer in a real openwheeler, he will be 1.5 secs slower and puke :)

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Greger Huttu proved that right :p

10. Capeta

Capeta Registered

11. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

True I had a more rubbered surface with the megane than with the open wheeler formula renault. But with the AI set to 100 I was contiously (even with a green track) faster than they were with the megane, and considerably slower than them with the formula renault. I will test the formula renault with a really rubbered in track and report back. In the mean time I was thinking de downforce simulation in rF2 is maybe still in development, and that could be a reason the formula renault suffers more in laptime since it has a lot more downforce than the megane.

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

How to load saved real road?

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Fairly big gap on the GP but don't forget that the faster and more aero the car has requires that much greater skill and attention to knowing exactly how to tap the use up all the potential of the car. Car set up on these types of cars means everything, many times more than a non formula car perhaps.

Not trying to be rude, don't know what your driving skill is like, etc, not trying to imply anything especially since your using base setup too.

14. domhnall

domhnall Registered

Any ideas on how accurate the track is??

15. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Once the track has rubbered in you click the SAVE REAL ROAD and name it (for example: Test). When you start the game and are in RACE SETTINGS on the list of parameters on the left is REAL ROAD. Just click the arrow next to it and your saved Real Road will be in the list under User: Test
    There will also be another one called User: Autosave. It is the last condition of the track you are on when you left the game, if I'm not mistaken.

16. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

This is also an issue but since the laptime of the megane came close to real life times(+1 sec) I was thinking that the formula renault times would be more or less the same (perhaps +2 sec because real life professionals are better drivers than me) This test could be done regardless of the track accuracy. But the formula renault has a gap over +8 sec so that is why i started this thread :)

Next I went on testing with a rubbered in track, and to my surprise I m not gaining that much (-0,5 sec) went and tried ridiculus setups (who knows what will hapen) but that really made no sence. The next thing to try is the upgrade rear roll centre spring settings but I don't have any experience with it settings, so could someone give a suggestion for Spa francorchamps (and maybe explain these settings a bit, I know that there is a discription but I don't know what those parameters mean and what effect they will have)

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Ok. Thanks :)

18. Ruudjuh

Ruudjuh Registered

Is there no one with any suggestions for rear roll centre spring @Spa Francorchamps?

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Day 1, Practice Session 1 (rest of the weekend the conditions got worse and even rained so no chance of improving laptimes) year 2010 (same year Huttu was there)

Conor Daly, who has already clinched the 2010 series championship, set the quick time with a lap of 1:19.230, Connor De Phillippi was second quick with a lap of 1:19.310.

So 1:19.230 and 1:19.310

What was Greger's best laptime? I believe a very high 1:24??? So almost 6 seconds off....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'm sorry but you sound a bit fanboy here... I 100% agree regarding to CM F1 (arcadish as hell), but FISI best F1 experience? C'mon.

And the excuse of "is not finished" is a kind of joker card here... it's in all posts. Do you really believe that's 15 seconds FR3.5 slower than reality will be magically fixed in a future build? You're trying to persuade yourself by autosuggestion. Don't be such optimistic since we have a lot of RF1 issues that never were fixed untill 2013.