[WIP] L98 V8 sound test: what do you think? (Sample 3)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sk1dmarks, May 13, 2014.

1. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Howdy! I'm building an old American sports car and I'm fiddling with some engine samples. I've made a little test event with FMOD Designer and before I continue with it I'd like to know your opinion. :) Am I on the right track? Or does it sound like crap? Let me know!
    This little sample is created with the FMOD Engine Designer tool and is supposed to be the sound from the interior.

Sample 1: http://youtu.be/w5FnSaT7etI
    Sample 2: http://youtu.be/cqjZDF2--KQ
    Sample 3:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I love the sound man; I think you're doing very well here!

But.......what was that horrible sound in the first 10 or 12 seconds? And the end sound? I can't place that and don't think they are natural.

The sound in between; I think you should get a nobelprice for that!

3. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Wow thanks! That horrible sound is simply the pitch rising from 0 to idle rpm and back. :p I should've cut it off, but I was too lazy. :)

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ah, I get that :)

The engine itself, wow!
    As a scrutineer for all kinds of classes, I heard a lot of sounds in real life and drove some cars myself (from podium to Parc Fermé and not on race speed off course) and can judge it a bit I like to think. In that light; I think you're more than spot on!! Keep it up man, please! :)

5. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Alright thanks! This is the ultimate motivation! :)

6. Jul

Jul Registered

What a sound !! great job man !

Remove that turbo sound from the beginning and it should be perfect :)

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There's a general hiss over the whole audio, I assume it's due to the source? I like the range you have there, is it possible to have the engine be louder when on higher revs? Overall the sounds remain at a similar volume while playing different bands.

8. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Thanks Jul! :)
    Guimengo, the hiss you're talking about, I hope you mean that mechanical sound? I didn't want to remove it because I thought it sounded awesome. :) And you're right about the volume. Still working on that one.
    I've made a new sample with a bigger difference between on and off throttle!

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The hissing sound; I though that was the transmission whining.......at least; it sounded like that and thought it should be there.

About the volume up on higher revs; valid point I think. I just listened to the tone, not that kind of stuff. But good to see there are always people better in stuff than others :) I didn't notice.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Is the sound created by values, or mixing real sound samples? Sounds pretty meaty whatever it is!!

11. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

@ Navigator: those are the little details that will increase the immersion. :D In fact: if I didn't read about it a couple of years ago, I wouldn't notice it as well.
    @ Woodee: thanks!! It's basically made of mixing sound samples. :)

Sample 3 with a more dynamic volume range!

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I can't remember if it was fmod, but I remember a while back there being a realtime engine simulation which you would give the details and it would output a sound in realtime based on them.

Edit: Found it, staccato sound engine.... can't find any new info about it though.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It all depends on the make of the engine. A ford sounds like a ford, a chevy like a chevy etc. What engine are you working on here?

14. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Woodee, I can 't find it either, but FMOD will do fine. :)
    Guy, the L98 engine is used in the '85 Corvette (in this case)!

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

As much as I can work out, they turned into "Analog Devices" which I then think turned into SoundMAX sound chips, but no realtime audio engines details that I can find!!

16. myself9

myself9 Registered

Sounds like a perfectly cooked steak.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Ver 3 is definitely cooking!

My constructive feedback: I think the off-throttle backfires/popping comes on a bit too soon. It's the right relative volume, but seems awfully quick.

18. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Thanks myself9 and Emery! :)
    The exhaust popping sound will be adjusted. I've just thrown it in without a lot of fine tuning. :)

So... I now have a nice sounding car in FMOD, but once I make it game-ready (GTR2 at the moment because that's the easiest to me to put it in), it sounds horrible. And I can only put 5 sound files for each "type" of car sound (on-throttle, off-throttle, inside, outside). Is there a limit in rFactor 2? I noticed that the Panoz has 7 files for a certain type, but I'd like to use 9 files. :D

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Sound 2 sounds like a Chevy. It has that undertone of a whine in it, the other 2 samples sound like Fords.

The over-runs sound like bass drums though. They should sound more like a tiny explosion (sharper noise).

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sample 3 sounds superb!