Just got rF2, here are my first impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VMaxMuffin, Jun 30, 2014.

1. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

I'll start off by saying one thing - I love it. I loved rF1, but really only because of it's community content. In terms of feel and driving experience, I felt it lacked something 99% of the time (i.e. with the exception of some of the greatest mods, like DRM and HistorX) - however, rF2 is fantastic. No complaints here.

Having played the Limerock/Corvette demo a while back and more recently the Silvestone/Civic demo, I knew it was time for a new PC (both for rF2 and AC) as I was simply not getting playable performance. Having done so, I have enjoyed AC and a few other games for about 2 months and it was about time to cough up the dough for rF2, and I'm not disappointed.

I've spent a couple of hours mucking about now, and I don't really have too many bad things to say, but what constructive criticism I have I will give.
    It's worth mentioning that I haven't tested too many car/track combos yet (the only full race I've done is in the Spec Mazda at Limerock with uphill chicane) however I wanted to post this while it's fresh in my mind ;)

1) On rolling starts, the AI behaves weirdly - like they go straight for the racing line then back into their lanes (after the green flag drops). Kinda hard to explain but I assume it's a known issue because it would be a hard one to miss. One thing I've enjoyed in AC is the fact that the AI acts 'like humans' on starts - in rF2 the AI really breaks the immersion here. Very good the rest of the time though!

2) I'm a bit disappointed to not see some sort of championship creation/participation embedded in the sim. I liked being able to make championships for rF1 but the not-so-great AI made it to be a slightly... sterile (?) experience (not sure sterile is the right word but it will do...). In rF2, the AI is much better and it would be great to run a whole championship, however that functionality doesn't seem to exist at all (not even with editing files or through 3rd party software), which I find disappointing. I have found some sort of online application that will let you run championships by uploading race logs however it really isn't anything more than a temporary solution IMHO.

3) I can't play on maximum settings due to the sim running out of memory, although I know there is a 64-bit version of the sim coming so that should fix that problem. I might download the beta for that later to test it out.

4) (Almost forgot) The spotter is way too low in volume! I know I could turn down my other volumes, but my headphones aren't that loud and I don't have a headphone amp so it makes everything quieter...

Well, I'm going back to the track! Seeya.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1 on your #2. It would help very much with the single player experience.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Welcome to rF2! :D

Here is video of what happens at the end of the formation lap (build 660 devmode). I've tested this with build 767 and the problem seems to be fixed + the AI has been improved a lot. Had some really nice races with the new beta.

4. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

@Tosch yes exactly, although at least on Limerock the consequences aren't quite so disasterous! :p

I'll have to give the beta a try then... can I just install it over the top of my existing rF2 install, or would you recommend a clean one for the beta? If possible I'd much prefer installing over the top of the existing one.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1 for #2 here either!
    It´s a shame and I don´t understand that decision by ISI!
    They said they will release a "tool" or some kind of possibility to create a
    championship, but it will not be "ingame" if I understand that correctly.

6. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

An external tool is better than no tool at all :p

7. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

@Tosch sounds good, can I just install it over the top of my existing install, or should I be making a separate one? (Would prefer the former)

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1, I'd be happy with that.

9. hoover

hoover Registered

If you plan to participate in further unstable testing, it'd be a good idea to create a separate install for the unstable build. Make sure the modmgr points to the correct directory when installing mods, it's caused all kinds of confusion in the past ;)

Uwe

10. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

Yeah I made a separate install and I'm glad I did because there are a few bugs (missing car parts etc.) :p

I think for now I'll keep having fun with it, then maybe once I'm a bit more familiar with the sim I'll look at giving some feedback on the unstable release.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

12. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered