Judging distance in rearview mirrors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonrarit, Jun 24, 2014.

1. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

We been having a few online race incidents where drivers have misjudged the actual distance cars behind are in the rear view mirrors. I've attached a few photos to explain.

In Grab001 it looks like the red car is clear behind the green. In fact the red car is actually touching the rear bumper of the green.

Grab002 looks like the red car has pulled out to overtake but is still behind the green car. In fact grabs 27,28 &29 are the same shot from different angles and there is clearly an overlap. This rearview image has caused a lot of incidents where the green car pulls across the nose of the red car thinking he is still clear ahead.

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to improve or overcome this. There is a line in the plr file to include own car detail such as rear wing
    in the mirrors image which I hoped would add some relative perspective, but changing the value doesn't appear to do anything at all

thanks in advance

JR

View attachment 13279 View attachment 13280 View attachment 13281 View attachment 13282 View attachment 13283

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The problem is that your own car is not visible in mirrors. That makes it look like you're clear. I hope this will be fixed in the future.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not sure if you can over come this as judging distance just comes from experience. But...you can narrow the FOV of the rear view mirrors I think which will help with distance perception.

Just think of the side view mirror in a real car and how it's a wide view mirror. "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

4. Justy

Justy Registered

I agree with the OP here, it is difficult to judge distance in the rearview mirrors. The fact we can't see our own car in the mirrors is a very good point, but I also feel that the mirrors FOV plays a small part in this too. Would be nice to have the option to adjust it from within the game UI (haven't looked to see if there is a PLR option hidden away somewhere).

Cheers
    Justin

EDIT: Ah, Jamie beat me to it. ;)

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Agree 100%. Now it's a compromise: parts of the car are not even computed in cockpit view to save fps and this is good (to save fps), and bad for mirror display.... I agree after a while is the experience which tel you where other cars are regarding your car...

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Ditto. We live with it, learn from it, hope it changes for the better.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there's a plr entry for "self in cockpit view" or something like that, might be worth a look.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

found it:

Self In Cockpit Rearview="0" // add values for any that should be visible (0=none): 1=rear wing & wheels, 2=body & susp, 4=cockpit, 8=steering wheel (15=all)

9. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Screenshot of it MarcG? :)

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Changing this setting in the PLR will only affect the content of the PLR and have AFAIK no influence on mirror rendering, so here is the only interesting screenshot I can think about:

View attachment 13289

Perhaps you will not catch my sense of humor here. I agree, sometimes I can't stand myself ;)

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Like YoLolo69 said it doesn't seem to do anything :(
    Just tried it setting it to 15=all

But nevertheless thanks for sharing MarcG ;)

12. Col

Col Registered

have you tried changing Rearview Width and Rearview Height in your plr file, fixed my rearview perspective.

Rearview Width="50.00000"
    Rearview Height="11.00000"

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The rearview FOV of the first two images of the OP are too big. You simply do not see the front part of a car which is half car overlapped with yours in central mirror.

I would try also using Caps+arrows to get the car to the correct mirror in case the rearview is centered to the car instead of the driver. I have not checked.

I would think that this should be checked if iit is like that with all vehicles.

What did you change from grab01 to grab02? The car is in the same position but the second one is less irrealistic. What you did to change from one to the other was good but insufficient.

enviado mediante tapatalk

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think I have enough experience in RF2, it doesnt help any with these mirror views.
    Only thing I can do about it is leave as much room as possible and that makes me very vulnerable when I defend and again Im not sure always Ive left enough room.
    I think too if my car was visible in mirror it would help a lot.

I wish this could be solved quickly, thanks for thread OP.