Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

"For members only" is fine for league races, but it does not build a sense of community.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Noel
    Perhaps the launcher could be expanded some, viewing lobby and fast info without the need of starting browser or the sim. Include liveserver info and direct join button.

3. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Sorry for going of topic chaps, but i just see ISI are testing Karts in the server browser :)

4. Miro

Miro Registered

No way, awesome! I was driving a lot kart racing pro lately and always thought if they do it right in rF2 kart racing is going to be epic. :D

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

:cool:

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

Also says its at the Quebec Kart track - wow that would be two nice presents :)

7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Haha. I did that on my server once... started testing a mod for a unannounced league series and someone saw it and started asking questions. :D

8. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@Tim another negative is that the VMod is attached to replays... so if you want to view a race from the start of the season to make a video etc you have to make sure you have a vmod from 6-12 months ago... this can also cause dramas if you have patched the cars during the season

9. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Oh, that's not good. In my league we create temporary vmods as we're trying out new things and I delete them shortly after... that implies that I can't open those replays again?

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Great point. Maybe the vmod should be embedded into the replay so later when you play it, it will go through the same process that joining a server does. It could give you the list of missing content and the ability to auto download them.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They know about that and will be finding a workaround.

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

For me and league I race and organize, vMod system works really well, It's so easy to create an vMod for each race, and It's not more than 2 minutes to have a server with the next race configuration online after a race. So I can't understand people complaining about the "modding knowledge" about vMods and how hard or annoying is work with them... for league environment It's way better than previous rF1 method. Easier for admins, and easier for users if you know how It works. You don't need to be Einstein to get used to that, do you rememmber the first days of your headaches trying to work with rF1? learning how to install, and trying to not to destroy your install when using different mods? now It's as simple as download de package, click install, and go, or just click in sever and Get Mod.

The only thing I understand people complains It's about vMods that have lots of tracks, and you need all to join some public servers that use this system in such way. I think the system should allow you to partially install the vMod (I'm not an extpert so I can be totally mistaken about the possibility of this) and join a server despite you have not all tracks the vMod and server are using. If you try to join a server and It's running "A", "B", and "C" tracks, and in that moment is running a session with "B" track and you have only that track server could allow you to join, and when session finishes would be nice to have a message saying you that you need the next track, giving you an option to download It or being kicked from server.

Other option was discussed before, and It's the posibility to create a server with different (1 track) vMods, and when you join, a message will say you how many different vMods are running, and will let you download the current one, and also as optional the rest of them. And the possibility to configure the server with an automatic rotation, with the possibility to vote for next vMod (as older next track). When a vMod session ends, a message will allow you to download the new vMod and components (If you need It), or will kick you. I think this one is easier because vMod system wouldn't be altered. The first one I think would be way more hard to implement.

One of this options would do this system near perfect, and I think would do more friendly for public races and 24/7 automatic servers.

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes. Exactly that solution was suggested to ISI shortly after rF 2 was released... so, now as you mentioned it, does it mean ISI will finally implement it?

14. smithaz

smithaz Registered

It would be helpful if the auto-generated vmods are created the same no matter who creates them. So if you already have the "Megane v1.2 @ Loch Drummond v1" vmod you wouldn't have to download it again on different servers.
    Perhaps this isn't possible, I don't know what vmods are for, is it like a hash file against the content?

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The vmod is not just car or track. You also define which layout and cars from the track and vehicle components can be used. Hence having universal vmods for sinfle car amd track doesn't make sense for me.

What it could be done is simply check if the required components loaded in the server are installed which is what is being asked. Why bother creating submods if actual system is fine? I dont want more job to define a server. A Vmod should be partially installable if not all the required components are previously installed. It would just say what is missing for full install.

As a summary: the problem should be solved by working in the componen managing system and its tool for installing stuff (mod mgr). Right now it is still not fully functional.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

17. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hardware and software changes. Jeremy does that stuff and makes the builds, the other devs will be working as normal.

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Who knows maybe we will get something in the week or 2 before Christmas, just be patient :)