issues with getmod download

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by cambo_nz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay first off, lets make sure were are on the same page. GetMod happens in two stages, the first stage is the part where it downloads the vmod (rfmod). The second part is where it lists all the missing components and gives you the option to click "Get missing components". For this discussion lets refer to the second stage as GetCmp. GetCmp doesn't involve the race server at all. The way it works is GetMod downloads the vmod and within the vmod there are download links for each of the included components. From there GetCmp takes over and downloads each rfcmp from the links it got from the vmod.

So... what part isn't working for you? GetMod or GetCmp? What is confusing me is that you are talking about putting rfcmp files in the Packages folder and expecting them to download but that isn't how it works. The dedi server only servs the rfmod file... not rfcmp files.

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

The rfmod file is proper downloaded, i get the problem and the errors with GetCmp.

Ok, this is what i have done with a combo of Addon track and ISI car:

First i have made a single cmp package for the addon track, including the url (http://www.raceserver.project-race.de/Packages/nbg_gp.rfcmp) for the rfcmp file. Therefore i installed the addon track, made the single rfcmp file, uninstalled the original addon track and installed the new one. Afterwards i made the rfmod file, with the addon track and the standard car. Then i installed the rfmod file and started the server.

View attachment 12583

//Edit:

... and from where get the rfmod file the rfcmp link, from the rfcmp file itself?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The link goes in the rfcmp files. When you build the rfmod it reads all of these links and then stores them in the rfmod.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hmmm...then it should be fine, how I`m creating the files, isn`t it? I stored the complete download link into the rfcmp file (http://www.raceserver.project-race.de/Packages/nbg_gp.rfcmp). Could be the underline making the problem? But i guess, i tried without, too...

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can't put the direct download link in the rfcmp file. The URL in the rfcmp needs to point to a webhost that understands a GetMod request. The game takes the URL from the rfcmp and then appends ?sig=<sig> to the end of it. If you go into the ModMgr and click on your component you will see the signature. That is the hash that gets appended to the URL. So say the sig on your component is ar25fst4gf. Then the URL you included would actually turn into this: http://www.raceserver.project-race.de/Packages/nbg_gp.rfcm?sig=ar25fst4gf

Most likely that extra part on the end would confuse your webserver and cause it to return a 404 not found.

So you need to point your URL to a web service that knows how to handle the sig parameter. Basically you end up using the same URL in all of your components and that URL points to a service that reads the sig that gets appended by the game, then looks in a database to see what the actual download URL is for that sig and then does a 302 redirect to that URL.

This is why all the ISI components point to http://www.rfactor.net/downloads/GetMod.php.

ISI doesn't allow the public to register components in their GetMod database so I created my own service which is open to the public.

The easiest way to use my service is to download my new GetMogMgr tool which you can read about in this thread:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19702-GetMod-Manager?p=271771&viewfull=1#post271771

Hopefully this clears up the confusion a little.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks Noel, now this make the whole thing clear to me.

By the way...thanks ISI for missing documentation at this point... :mad:

@ ISI: could somebody of the ISI staff proper explain, why the ISI GetMod service is not allowed to the public, to your customers???

Thanks in advance for a proper explanation.

//Edit;

by the way, this GetMod service should be reachable through the rf2 GUI. At least, maybe this is the reason, why so many rf2 server are empty.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It seems like GetMod was an after thought and only really intended for ISI to use internally for their own components. Their service should be open to the public and registration should be integrated in to the MAS2 tool and tied to the same user/password that the launcher uses. Maybe one day this will happen. And I agree, this is probably why there are so many empty servers. ISI's servers stay busy but they are also easy to join. Babs (from IsR) has been making use of my service so his servers should be easier to join too.

I think most of the users of my service are leagues though. So their servers are probably all password protected.