Issue getting RealRoad to work

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SERPENTS ON A VESSEL, Oct 31, 2016.

1. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

SERPENTS ON A VESSEL Registered

I'm stumped.

Decided to make a small oval for fun. Got the basics laid down real nice and set everything up to test it. Now I'd like to post a screenshot of how it looks in 3DSimEd:

[​IMG]

Looks great! Ignore the xsectors because that was part of a hail mary attempt at fixing my issue

Now when I load the track into anything gmotor related (Viewer/Dev Mode/gJed), the following things happen:

- RealRoad doesn't work, and thus, the track doesn't have that nice specular effect... Or any effect really.
    - Car shadows do not appear when driving on the track. When driving over the reference plane, they appear just fine.
    - Trackside object shadows (in this case the wall) also doesn't appear on the track. In fact they appear on the reference plane instead, completely ignoring the track.

I also get this thing for some reason

[​IMG]

It's not a texture, and its also not some weird geometry. It just shows up! As you can see it isn't there in the 3DSimEd shot. Driving over it doesn't make the car behave any differently.

I've done everything I can think of:

- Name instance and track gmt file as "RaceSurface_XX"
    - Track material name has "_WET" suffix
    - Track instance is set to "Deformable=True" in the .scn file

So I don't know what to do anymore. The software I used to model it was Maya 2016. Any tips will be appreciated.

2. shiet

shiet Registered

Realroad shader set on the road? Reflection mapper set on the road?

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

4. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

Yeah I have realroad shader set on the road. Not sure on the reflection mapper but I don't think it has anything to do with it.

I only used 3dsimed after using gJed to import the fbx. Is setting maya to z-up really that important? I know that its what rF2 uses, but gJed lets you converto to Z-up on import (which is what I did).

If thats the cause of my issues I'll be very surprised.

5. Gijs van Elderen

The Y/Z swap on import, rotates the mesh, but not the normals. So this option is useless. :) You can also rotate to Z up in the FBX Game Exporter. But that has the same result.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/27870-Track-not-always-lit-by-head-lights

When you create a new project with Z-up, and import your current project in Maya. Rotate the track 90 degrees and "freeze transformation". Create a shelf button for it: you're going to need it a lot.
    Also create a shelf button for "Delete History".

6. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

I switched to Z-up and fixed the vertex normals as you can see here

[​IMG]

But in gJed, its the same thing. I turned on the display vertex normals option and they seem to be pointing in a completely different direction

[​IMG]

The problem still persists. I'm thinking its probably best to just begin anew with Z-up, but I'd like to at least know whats going on and how to fix it, in case one day this happens and restarting isn't an option.

7. Gijs van Elderen

This was my "eurka" moment. :eek:

Redo everything isn't necessary: But you'll need to create a new Z-Up project and import your current work, Flip everyhting X=-90 and freeze transforms will flip the normals.

If you want you can send me your Maya project folder in a PM. So i can take a look at it.

8. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

Sent you a PM. If you could answer here instead of sending another PM it would be awesome, it might help someone else with the same issue in the future.

9. Gijs van Elderen

You've created a group for your Racesurface and Wall. A group has a pivot point too. Ungroup the objects or Freeze transformation of the group.

BTW: You'll need to rename all objects and materials and remove the "irwandale:" There is a trick to do all at once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelEbVhL2Lg it starts a 6:00

View attachment 21015

Ideally: Groups and Locaters are "Null" objects with an offset pivot point.
    gJED should read these Null objects as an Instance and everthing in it is part of the Instance. But Instances aren't support by gJED yet. Each object will get it's own Instance. That is what track modders do anyway.
    example for track:
    Instance=RACESURFACE_INFIELD ==> is group or locator
    {
    MeshFile=RaceSurface_infield.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }

Car modders uses Instances for their wheels, tires, driver, streering wheel, etc... Each instance has it's own pivot point.
    example from a car tire:
    Instance=RFTIRE ==> is group or locator
    {
    Moveable=True
    MeshFile=rter_rf_tire_max.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(20) Reflect=True
    MeshFile=rter_rf_tire_med.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(20) LODOut=(50) Reflect=True
    MeshFile=rter_rf_tire_low.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(50) LODOut=(300) Reflect=NoLOD
    MeshFile=rter_rf_rim_max.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(20) Reflect=True
    MeshFile=rter_rf_rim_med.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(20) LODOut=(40) Reflect=True
    MeshFile=rter_rf_rim_low.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(40) LODOut=(300) Reflect=NoLOD
    MeshFile=rter_rf_bd.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(True, Solid) LODIn=(0) LODOut=(25)
    MeshFile=rter_spoke_rf.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(70) Reflect=NoLOD
    }

10. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

Well that was silly of me. Thanks man. Now the road receives shadows from the car and the wall just fine. Much appreciated.

RealRoad still doesnt work though. The track doesn't rubber in. I added a .WET file which let me set RealRoad to "Naturally Progressing" and even at 15x nothing happens. Setting it manually through dev mode shows the rubber/wet/marbles so its not a texture problem.

11. Gijs van Elderen

Once you have enable the manually set rubber or wet surface in dev mode, It only works manually. Atleast that is what seems to happen.

Reload the track in dev mode, without touching anything and keep on driving for 15 min.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Could someone explain to me the axis settings, exporting a FBX with 3DSIMED, import with Maya, export from Maya to FBX?

I Assume the following procedure:

- export in 3DSIMED to fbx with set the y-axis to Z
    - import to Maya
    - export from Maya to fbx (no changes on axis settings)
    - import to 3DSIMED (no changes on axis settings)

13. SERPENTS ON A VESSEL

That seems about right but I believe you have to make sure that Maya, the importer and the exporter are set to Z-up because they all default to Y-up. Z-up is a 3DS Max thing.

14. Gijs van Elderen

Converting objects with 3Dsimed to fbx works fine for objects with 1 UV set/channel. But you need to pay attention to the normals. Everthing is smooth shaded. In Maya you'll need to define hard edges again and "detach" them. (Smoothing groups for 3ds max users and detach to elements)
    3dsimed doesn't export multiple UV sets.

Travellers import scripts for blender works better for objects with multiple UV sets, like buildings with a AOmap.
    But the script splits the object into pieces by material. So you'll need to rename all UV sets to your naming convention (in my case map1, map2, ...) Then you can "combine" the object onto 1 object or gmt. Normals are preserved and UV sets are preserved.

If it's a simple object like a tent. It's faster to create a tent from a cube and use an ISI texture.

If you release something in public, give credits to the original creators if you use their objects. If it's for comercial use contact the creator.