is there a quality shifter that lets you move from H to seq?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Any quality shifter that will let me go from H mode to sequential mode on the fly without having to change the plate? for example the TH8 looks cool but you need to unscrew the plate to use it on sequential mode

i wish someone designed something where you press a switch and lets you toggle modes on the fly

2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Fanatec CSS 1.5 works very well, and you go from seq to H with a switch move.

3. Magus

Magus Registered

As above, the Fanatec Shifter is a great option and more so if you have a Fanatec wheel as its window drivers allow you to map the Sequential up/down straight to the paddles of the wheel making it very convenient to switch from H, to paddle, to Sq. Otherwise, in game you would constantly need to map shift up/down from the wheel to the shifter depending on the car or personal taste.

TJones likes this.
  4. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Games should automatically know what to use. Doesn't Asseto Corsa do this? it detects it's a manual car and enables H and disables paddles.. if it doesnt exist this should be an option, rfactor2 devs should look into that. I hate having to go to the wikipedia to see what the freaking car uses in real life (paddles, seq or H, automatic or manual, clutch or 2 pedal only..etc)

Mibrandt and TJones like this.
  5. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

This shifter can do it on the fly, and is in the same price range as the TH8A:
    http://www.shiftershh.com/en/

You do not need to unmap your paddle shifters to map your sequential shifter, as you find at the bottom of the Driving mappings Alternative (Alt) mappings for throttle, brake, steering, upshift and downshift.

To momoracers point:
    Yes this would be a good idea, except that I could no longer drive cars with H pattern (yes, I do not own a shifter), so an option to disable it would be usefull.
    The thing is: rf2 does not distinct if a car has H pattern or Sequential. Which means from looking at a cars file, you can not know if it is H pattern or not.
    So there is a need for a Property in the Driveline section of the hdv, that defines if a car is sequential or H pattern, someting like:
    Code:
    Sequential=1
    And if the line is not present (like with not updated content), it will default to both being available (where we are at the moment).

6. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Thanks for that link I will look into that one.

Also yes, the option should be optional obviously for these that do not own an H shifter or 3 pedals for the clutch etc.

And yes, they should add specific entries to each car so the game knows what to do. This shouldn't be hard to program and would save a lot of time of re-configuring things everytime you switch cars. For example, for Postipate's BT55:

Code:
    Geartype=0 // 0 means you'll be using H, 1 means you'll be using sequential stick, 2 means you'll be using paddles
    Autogears=0 // 0 means you'll be switching gears manully, 1 means automatic
    Clutch=0 // 0 means you use a 2 pedal car with no clutch and, 1 means 3 pedals so clutch is needed

The modders will have to add these values to each car so when you enable "real world mode" it reads these values and automatically would block paddles and would force you to manually change gears and would force you to use the clutch as intended by this specific car. This would save us a lot of time and make the experience less frustrating. If you want to bring sim racing to the masses you need to automate stuff and avoid the need for people to spend more time on the settings menu than driving.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm fairly sure in AC that if you have a H shifter connected you have to use it if the car has a H gearbox.
    If you don't have one connected you can still use paddles etc to shift but it won't be an instantaneous shift.
    I haven't played AC for a long time so if I'm wrong don't shoot me!

8. Eddy

Eddy Registered

There is an option where you can map alternative up and down shifts in the controller profile page, just scroll down in the first tab and you will find them.

9. Magus

Magus Registered

Not all games offer that though.

10. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Yes, only rF2.

11. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Me neither, I will try AC if I have some free time and report back. I have the G27 H shifter to test.

rfactor2 devs should really look into this, and give us data about the cars when selecting them on the menu, not only a screenshot of the car... this game needs so much work menu guise, they are really shit to be frank.

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Sorry you are right, i thought we were talking about rF2 :(