Is there a better way to fill the infeild.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by fazed, Nov 25, 2012.

1. fazed

fazed Registered

I'm just laying down the basic track layout and infield at the moment, but it is quite time consuming aligning it all.
    Is there some magic button to automatically fill in the in field sections?

Sorry I'm a bit new to this but enjoying learning.

View attachment 4819

2. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

You could try some techniques but at the end of the day you'll have to adjust it manually.

feels3 posted this a while ago:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8312-What-is-the-maximum-poly-count-for-terrain-on-a-mid-size-track?p=108945&viewfull=1#post108945

And a lot of track modelling techniques were discussed here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8367-3d-max-what-method

3. aidylad

aidylad Registered

I'm also a noob and this is something I was struggling with too. At the moment I'm using the bevel modifier. I simply pick one edge of my track then loop it. Create a shape from that loop. Select that shape and apply the bevel modifier. In the bevel parameters, untick capping start/end and then adjust the outline amount as needed. You can also add segments. You may need to flip normals, depending on which direction you bevel.

There is probably better ways of doing it but I haven't discovered them yet but this method is working great for me at the moment and is very quick and simple.

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

5. fazed

fazed Registered

Thank you all very much for helping out.

Dues to a small lack of forward planning, I had to move most of the infield to allow the addition of curbs and so on.
    Every time I try something I'm learning something new, so its never wasted time.

Thanks again.

6. fazed

fazed Registered

Again thanks for the help.
    The track is coming on nicely now hopefully by next week I can have the track surface and run off areas complete. ( currently 25% complete. )

Really enjoying this, first scratch built track and little experience of 3Dsmax.

View attachment 4824

7. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hey the infields are a pain just trying to get everything lined up
    I'm like u pretty new to it all and the learning curve is a bit steep but u can get all ya info u want on these forums
    I'm on my 3rd attempt to make a track now my biggest problem was not being very tidy at the start and trying to rush it, means later on, u really cock ya self up
    So my biggest tip so far would be take ya time and plan ahead