Is the New online the same as the OLD online?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Oct 7, 2023.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

During the first few days of use, we are seeing posts that indicate many of the same early teething issues with the recent Competition System are repeating with the new Online RaceControl. Server join time-outs, registration issues. It makes one think the old system is still working with some shiny new UI and ratings features.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No. One should get on discord and find out what's actually going on. Nice thread.

Spyro and nonamenow like this.
  3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

You'll find way more info on Discord. Not having tried the old one I can't compare but having been through alpha and now seeing the reactions on Discord I'd say it's on the right track.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I tried Discord a few years ago...whenever S397 announced their channel....got bombarded with Discord announcements and killed it about 3 days later. Haven't used it since. Hence why I asked here.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You could have asked in the other thread rather than making a new one.

From the announcement:
    What is the online Beta program? And how do I join?
    Importantly, this is system that has been built from the ground up over the last year and therefore we need to thoroughly test this with patient racers that understand it might not all go perfectly! There will no doubt be a few hiccups along the way.

Note the 'ground up' bit. I trust this isn't a Rennsport situation.

What does an online system do? It facilitates registering for and joining servers. So what issues will arise? Probably registering and joining servers. Any system that has those issues might just be the same system with a fresh coat of paint? That's like driving 2 cars that have the same top speed and both oversteer, and suggesting they're the same car because of it.

For your info, practice servers have been the main issue, and that's because there's been a lot of users trying to join them and the system has to start up servers when it sees more spots are needed. Starting a server can take something like 5-10 mins depending on content (these are AWS servers - so a new one means a new instance spinning up, then the rF2 server itself starting). The race servers have been largely (/completely?) unaffected, either because they have enough running or the number required is known from the practice servers / registration so they can be readied in advance.

In tonight's running (ie last 8-10 hours) they actually hit their limit of AWS servers for the beginner events, so that caused some issues as well. (they've put in a ticket for more machines)

And whatever issues you've had with discord, if you're going to participate in the online system beta you'd be well advised to have it so you know what's happening. You can mute any and all channels as you desire, so you don't get bombarded by notifications.

davehenrie and Binny like this.
  6. Binny

Binny Guest

Also this, it seems discord will become the best place to get info & report issues ect..., might even be the end of the forum completely one day.

To ensure that you’re up-to-date with development, and so that you can log issues please ensure you’re part of our Discord community and navigate to the rFactor 2 Online section.

7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I've only done 2 races but so far it's looking pretty good. 50+ registered in the first and 20+ in the second race. More than I expected. I was expecting less than 10. I'm really impressed!!

davehenrie likes this.
  8. Nick9320

Nick9320 Registered

Holly molly mate, I can only imagine a world without Discord now :D How's this on the other side?

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The client and server are obviously the same, the server infrastructure is probably the same too. A new UI with new features is basically a new CS. The issues are pretty common for an online system which has entered a public beta program with high participation, nothing very specific to the old CS. Comparing them doesn't make much sense to me even though some pieces of code could have been logically reused. Reusing code is done all the time in software development.

davehenrie likes this.