Is it impossible to continue dx9 support for legacy plugins?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hardtohandle, Feb 9, 2018.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Hi, I understand this build is the final one to include dx9 support. I am still using that dx9 option in the betas dropdown.

I want to stay on dx9 purely to use the trackmap plugin which is important to me. I basically would no longer race rf2 without it, that's my choice. It's not important why, that's just the way it is with me.

Probably, it is an unreasonable proposition to maintain a dx9 build for dx9 plugins, I think it is a totally different exe and a whole lot of work to maintain that dx9 build. But maybe it is not who knows, so I thought to ask is it totally impossible to maintain that dx9 option for future builds?

I would be more than happy to continue with dx9 if I had to. If it was easy to maintain that (which I doubt) that would be a fine solution for me. I'll put my hands up to be being pretty picky about the trackmap, things move on, but basically no track map it's no rf2 for me which would be sad, so if this is the end of dx9 I would just prefer to know now rather than race on for a few weeks then have to stop again, because I have only just resumed action after a lengthy break. Cheers.

I know there's new plugins being developed, and they look great, but they are not a solution for me. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm pretty sure trackmap functionality will be covered by a combination of new core HUD elements (included in the game) and plugins built on the new framework when it drops. If not having that functionality is a deal breaker for you then you might need to stop playing until that all happens.

They've indicated not only that maintaining a dx9 version is an issue, but that they can make more gains in dx11 by abandoning dx9 support (ie they can take things in directions that dx9 wouldn't be able to do). This makes 'maintaining' a compatible dx9 version pretty much impossible, as you'd actually be doing different things in each version.

Dx9 didn't have any plugins when it started (obviously) and at this stage dx11 doesn't have third party drawing plugins. It will change, just as dx9 did.

lagg likes this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You shouldn't have to stop becuase no trackmap. I agree as to how awesome it was but the only things i ever really had on were standings (which is for my viewers' benefit more than anything, I can live without), fuel remaining and tyre temps/wear. Most HUDS now have this, and using Crew Chief as well it means less on screen clutter and fewer distractions.

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yep the good thing about trackmap is that is so customisable and you can set things precisely how you like them, you can change the position and where applicable the dimensions of everything, and furthermore the widgets are transparent. Some people have every widget under the sun plastered all over the screen, some people do the reverse and have the minimum, that's the good thing about it. You can choose yourself.

The time this is most valuable is in a race, you can see everything you want and you can put it in places where you hardly need to take your eyes off the road. Your not having to press 6 to cycle through the default hud and etc, and that counts for a lot.

There is an awful lot of widgets in trackmap, I would not say all of them are necessary, just the basics would be fine. The leaderboard (inc time gaps and top speed, and ability to change dimensions(i have it set so even if 40 cars I can see them all)), car basics (tyres, engine etc), map (transparency, moveable, dimension-able, zoom feature). Start lights, that's a good one to have.

For the speedo, there like 15+ to choose from. I use one of the 'F1' ones, it;s just a small back rectangle taking very little space, but in that small box alone is just about everything you really need - speed, revs, temps, sector times, weather, DRS info and more!

So it's tough to beat for these reasons. I think S397 building it into the game is one of the best things they can do anyway, and always have.

I'm not so sure the clammer to make dx11 plugins will match that of dx9 when rf2 come out. I actually know c++ but not the dx api's. I thought about converting it myself, but decided against it for various reasons. But if I was up to speed with dx9 and 11 like the devs, I expect you could rattle it off in not much time at all.

Would be good to hear from devs what is the intentions here if any. Maybe it's top secret. ATM I am just counting down the days hoping for no new build to come out, because soon as it does I am out. Will all non essential personnel leave the grid now!

5. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Simhub is a very good substitute on dx11. There is a bit of a learning curve, but many templates are already available, and it has almost all the functionality of TM, even the real time map. Search Racedepartment.com for simhub to find it and addons.

Hopeful to see what S397 provides, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be released too soon.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

Can Simhub be used in VR?

7. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes. You have to use W10 and the Oculus Touch (or something similar)

8. Depco

Depco Registered

I have both.... but I have been not using oculus software when I run rF2 to try and get as many frames as possible during races. Running oculus, plus SteamVR, plus simhub may be a bit too much.