Is dedicated server the only way to host in RF2??

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by mister2cc, May 17, 2013.

1. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Hi,

I just bought rfactor 2 and didn't find a normal "host game" feature. The only way to host looks like the dedicated server, which is something I can't use. Can anyone explain me how this works?

thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't use a dedicated server? Why not?

3. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

I mean that I don't know how to use it. I started a test one but then it was not in the list of joinable servers, not even after I put the name in the filters or switced to LAN games. All I want to do is host a race on a certain track and have friends + AI join it (and myself of course :D). It was so easy with the "host" function in RF 1, but I don't know how to get the same thing in RF2 :(

4. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

5. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

I just took a look a the link you posted. Thanks for that.
    I'm very disappointed now, as I'm finding out that hosting a game in RF2 is far more complicated than in RF1. Are ISI going to keep it this way? And if so, what's the reason for that? I have a job, and as many of you guys I don't have time to sort out things or getting into tutorials and readmes just to be able to race. This has nothing to do with how deep a simulator is, I love depth, options, settings ect, but this is just a way to make things complicated and make people lose their precious time in evenings and weekends. It's nothing to do with simulation, but just with turning all of us users into f....ing nerds.
    I think if it stays like this I'm going to ask for my money back.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I was able to start the Dedi server on my laptop and join with my desktop machine based on the same network.

Just needs 3 ports opening for the server as far as I am aware: 54297, 54397 and 44297 (which I believe is if you are using "Get Mod" feature).

It's not rocket science ;)

7. Spadge

Spadge Registered

as an f....ing nerd myself, I'd just like to say hosting in the dedicated server thing isn't that hard to set up and it allows you to move it off onto another machine (that doesn't have to be anything like as powerful as the one running the game) if you want to. Or you can run it on the machine you're playing on if that's what you have.

You will have to open (forward) ports on your router/firewall and you may have to create vmods for the car/track combo you want to race on, but you'd have to do that if you were hosting from within game too.

Next time you are in an online race and the guy who set up the server wants to go and change car please remember to come back here and post what a terrible way of doing things this is when everybody isn't dumped back in the lobby.

8. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

Im sorry for being rude. Of course I'm mad at ISI, and appreciate all of your help guys. I just don't understand why they took something off from the old RF1, while a sequel game should have the same AND more features than the predecessor. I mean, setting a dedi server might be easy (it's not for someone who doesn't know what it is) but I really don't get why they took off the simple "host" function altogether. Couldn't they keep both features?

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

As Spadge said, I believe there was a reason behind it. The dedi server means you can host a server without needing a monster machine as it doesn't display the graphics. The host in game feature wasn't the greatest in the first place.

10. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Open ports on the router and firewall before dedicated.
    As before after launch dedicated
    Nothing has changed :)

And pass your anger lol this is just a game :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  11. mister2cc

mister2cc Registered

No luck.....did like you all said, but the server is not in the list. I also tried different filters but nothing changes :(

12. Spadge

Spadge Registered

dude, pick a thread!

13. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Ha Ha...I thought it was me...and not enough coffee yet.

Dave