Is a virtual 7.1 surround headset essential for racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I am using a hifi 5.1 system and never heard that. But I must admit I never pay attention to the moo sounds.[emoji4]
    I will try to lower my fronts volume and check which sounds coming from rear speakers...

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

In a F3 you can hear the whip whip whip off individual road posts and poles especially on the run up the hill just after Stavelot as it is a little more closed in.

If you run along the bridge wall after Malmedy chicane you get a awesome rush of reverb off the house ;)

For me the best wind immersion is the Corvette cop car at Longford at night with HDR or it looks horrible and ruins immersion..

Anyways...First knock the haybales out of the way near the last corner that block the rest of the Flying mile and drive right to the end of that bit of road and turn around where you drop into the black hole. ( if you drop in go back try again lool )

Now accelerate as smooth as fast as you can from there with the long ratio gearbox do it right you can hit 200 mph before the right hand kink at the opposite end of the flying mile.
    Then you want to be hard on brakes for intersection at bottom of hill, comes up fast hehehe p

But just listen to that wind shear @200mph !@! ..awesome.

Not just that, the darkened interior, watching lighted speedo and the pitch blackness just beyond it , how it rides over the road, everything so immersive. p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It is just Stereo yes, hopefully the future will bring some decent Surround Sound improvements.
    I now race with my Shure SRH440 and can hear the reverberation as DD mentions so much better, I found it kinda 'lost' on a 5.1 setup.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think with onboard Realtek as well you lose a bit. I tried it and it is the good chip, sounds hollow.

My DTT3500s and amp must be nigh on 15 years old still sound lovely never turned them up over 1/2

I have to go online to set this or it pauses but when I move that slider back it changes engine to more rearward.

It is 5.1 fixed fakery but it still works surprisingly well, most anything in DX even GPL.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I'm prepared to lose a bit of detail using onboard but I lost all interest in a dedicated sound card years ago when onboard became "good enough". I've still got my 5.1 setup but took it down due to space so will use it again in the future no doubt, then I may look at dedicated sound cards but it's very low on my ISI style priority list :p

6. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

OK so just tried it and muted my fronts...

As expected the only thing coming from the rears (and the center) is the reverberation. Funny is you also can hear the reverberation of some ambient sounds (like the "moos") if you turn up the volume. Often it is completeley quiet, which is a bit weird as you would expect to always get at least a tiny bit of reverberation from somewhere.
    Even more weird is why we didn't have true sourround sound from the beginning, which all of my 3D games had since roughly 2001 (EAX was developed 1996!). Sure, it is not as important in a racing simulation as in shooters but it is extremly immersive. :p
    I know it is not really weird since it is an evolution of the rf1 engine, but when I bought the beta and saw that 5.1 option....sigh. Hope they will do it after this whole stock car, oval, rain thingy.

In fact I hope they have a lot more plans for the sound engine than surround sound.;)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

When I used 5.1 I altered the reverb settings in the player.JSON to beef them up a bit, from memory I upped the Distance and I *think* I changed the Radius.

Unfortunately one of RF2s let downs is the lack of decent surround sound, it'd be great to hear a car come up on your back left speaker and hear him gradually pass you through to the front left before he veers over to the right on track and the sound of his car then comes through the front right. One of those little immersion details that would make a great game greater for me, hence one of the reasons I'm mainly using stereo headphones now!

8. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Agree, people asking for 5.1/7.1 headphones or using stereo upmix clearly shows there is a demand.

BTW: I also have some great Sennheiser HD558 which I also use for Simracing sometimes (in the night :)). I would always recommend some good stereo headphones, rather than those 7.1 gamer headsets...

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Doh I been using old ui for months never even realized there is a extra sound slider ........or FFB torque !

No wonder RMA wheel and cars have been driving up the crapper.

lmao ... oh dear :eek: lol

See that's why I don't like updating , wish I never started using it, told everyone do fresh scratch
    4 years ago here I am using updates. ffs lol

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Maybe Im getting deaf from all this headphone listening but I really dont find that much difference between mega expensive headphones vs Senheiser HD 203 http://en-us.sennheiser.com/studio-stereo-headphones-closed-hd-203 which I use so many years now and they dont want to brake.
    For me, headphones must be light and only thing to choose is how much you want to be secluded from other noise, over the ear or on the ear.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My Headphones were TTSport they sound great but build quality was terrible so they ended up breaking.

While I save for new headphones I am using $40 earplugs , same EAX/Live settings

I just noticed last night.....

I can't hear a thing but the engine, nothing else whatsoever !

No flags rustling ! no tyre squeal or lockups no wind shear on anything not even the house on Malmedy straight !

Never realized how important a good set of headphones are.... and frequency !@!

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Open-air cans tend to deliver overall better audio quality in just about all areas except in the lows. Open-air cans also tend to deliver a greater soundstage, and better positioning and separation; that's why many people use them for surround like the Audio Technica ATH-AD700x which are super popular amongst gamers thanks to great performance with regards to positional audio as-well as distance.

There is the AD900x which is a bit superior still to the AD700x.

There is also the ATH-ADG1. I read that they seem to be an AD700x with a mic and then labelled a "gaming" headphone. Sweet.

Then there is the Fischer Audio FA-011. This sounds like a very special headphone from all the things people say about it.

I can't decide between the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and the Fischer Audio FA-011.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  13. TT98

TT98 Registered

I have a Sennheiser PC323 D PC R Which comes with an external USB soundcard. It is 7.1 as well the I dunno if it makes such a difference to really have 7.1 but I love mine! The other side is teamspeak. Apparently people hear me like they're sitting next to me!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk