is 80 bucks worth 512mb of ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by killdrums, Jan 27, 2011.

1. killdrums

killdrums Registered

i have 1.5gig and wondered if i got 2 gig(will need a 1 gig stick of pc3200,my pc only tqakes max 2gig in 2 slots)would it be worth it??thanks!!!

2. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

I don't think you would gain much at all, put the money towards your new rig IMHO :)

(You could run rF in windowed mode and use task manager to check how much Ram your using.)

I run 6 gig and even with everything maxxed and 20 AI only uses 25% (1.5 gig) of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  3. Uff

Uff Registered

That price is a robbery! You pay less for much better ram: I know that old hardware sometimes get higher prices, but in this case it's a total waste of money.

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Yeah DDR is stupidly expensive, I dunno why, its out dated it should be almost free. I have about 10 gig of DDR lying around my room [/exaggeration], mostly used for paper weights :D
    From my local shop,,,
    512M PC3200 400MHZ DDR RAM = $33
    2G PC12800 1600MHZ NANO DDR3 = $43
    4 times the size, 4 times the speed, for $10 extra :lol:

Your best bet, go to a computer shop, a small owner operated one and ask the guy if he has some old DDR lying around. Or even the local pawnbroker. Or even the local tip :p

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

6. killdrums

killdrums Registered

need 512 so need a 1 gig stick since my pc only hold 2 1gig sticks of ram:(

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

8. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Yeah but is 29.99 worth adding 512md of ram to my system??

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Probably not. :) If you were going from 1GB to 2GB I would say hell yeah. But 1.5 to 2.0... hmmm.. probably not. Put the 29.99 towards a new GPU or something like that. Something you can take to your next machine.

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

PC3200... so you probably still have AGP GPU? Forget it, really. With such PC, you won't be playing in full details none the less so you don't need that additional 0,5GB of RAM (and there is no good reason to buy overpriced and old AGP cars). Keep the cash, gather some more and buy a new PC (which are not that expensive, btw.).

11. killdrums

killdrums Registered

I have PCI Express slot at least with a 9800gt OC'd..its my cpu thats outdated.

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

What OS? If it's XP or older you'll notice almost no difference. Windows Vista or 7 sit in about 1 - 1.5GB memory but XP is minimum half as heavy. You'd notice a small difference with Vista/7 but practically none with XP, certainly not enough to justify the extreme price DDR1 has as a legacy technology. I'd say save up to gut a system and do a big upgrade as I managed to get a quad core Phenom 2, 5750 1GB, 4GB DDR3 1600 and a nice ASUS motherboard for $340. It's entirely possible you'd need to change the PSU out too which'd bring it up to $440 but still. Now, you may not have this money free but the point is largely that shopping list is for just over 4 - 5x what you're planning to pay for a tiny amount of old, slow RAM.