Invisible track in Dev Mode

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Sub, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Sub

Sub Registered

For starters, thanks Jim Beam and MJP for helping me get the track set up right in Dev Mode!

After finding that the GMT Exporter would export group names (objects grouped together in Max) as .gmt entries in the .scn file and cause the game not to load, i finally got everything set up right and the track loading.

Now i'm finding that i can see some of the structures around me when it loads, but the track itself doesn't render and the car is stuck hanging in mid air. It's not falling, so there's something holding me in place, but for whatever reason, the track doesn't render.

Some things i've double checked in hopes of remedying this:
    - Made sure the 7 layers of realroad were set up correctly and aimed at the right channels
    - Made sure all the road material names start with RaceSurface_
    - Double checked the Track Technology doc and did numerous searches of the forum to make sure i have the track itself set up right.
    - Adjusted the height of the track to see if i needed to set it lower than the 0,0,0 mark (doesn't seem to matter)
    - got rid of my rf1 AIW file
    - double checked my xsector scn entries and dds files - they're just fine

About the only thing i'm seeing that's kind of strange in the whole file is the material names on my sidewalks. They were spit out of Bob's Track Builder with long and awkward material names that i haven't bothered to change (i.e.: wall5_s0.g.Inst0264) and they're getting somewhat truncated in the current scn file. I don't know if that would have anything to do with the main track not rendering, but maybe? Should i change them?

Here's a zip of my current venue in case anyone has the time to give it a look (it's just under 10mb). Thanks again for the help yesterday! I'm getting closer... it can't be long now...

http://www.isaacaubrey.com/rF2/MCO_b.zip

***edited to add***
    I keep neglecting to mention, i'm currently only working on and importing one corner of a much larger track. So it isn't a functioning loop at the moment - it just abruptly cuts off at each end. Could that be the problem?

View attachment 5770

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Any chance to take a look at your 3ds max file of your track?

When viewing your track with rF2 viewer, there is no racesurface geometry at all. Racesurface gmt's are there and they are correctly stated in scn file too. Therefore I suspect, that something is wrong with your road model.

EDIT: Btw, why you are using "track_cube.dds" texture in your RR material? Reflection map on stage 7 can be almost anything, but not (probably) cube map. Personally I use 16x16 px black texture there. Stage 7 is for wet surface reflection live mapper. Texture itself isn't visible ingame.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  3. Sub

Sub Registered

Thanks for checking it out! I've been fearful that the BTB generated track might give me trouble at some point. It's built out of tris instead of the nice quads in all the working rF3 track examples i've seen. It's also just 4 segments across instead of 6 or 8. When i first imported it, i found that the segment on each side of the track was disconnected from the middle two segments. In fact, there were tons of disconnected verts throughout the geometry of the track. So while i've been slowly getting it ready for this moment, i've been welding all the disconnected verts i can find for the individual objects. I still left all the objects disconnected from each other, and that means that the track itself is divided into a dozen or more little chunks (needed in rF1 so that the lighting would work right). Something in all of that is obviously causing me trouble.

Either way - here's a link to the Max file. It opens with Max 2011. Thanks again!

http://www.isaacaubrey.com/rF2/Skoggit_01_FirstTown.zip

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  4. Sub

Sub Registered

Gah! Just realized that my link to the Max project file was broken. It's been fixed. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this. I'll keep pecking away at it on my own, but i've had no luck thus far. I fear the BTB generated track may be working against me...

5. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Had such thing last time with a conversion and had more than one *.scn file in an subfolder of the actual track dir - moved them out to diff folder and it worked.

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Just had time to take quick look at your max file.

First, replace texture from stage 7 (refection map) your RR material. Cube map probably causes problems. You can use simply black 16x16 px texture for that. Stage 7 texture will not shown in the game. Renderer do not handle this stage like normal texture stage. It's there just a reference for enabling live mapper. Remember ungroup all objects before exporting.

BTB track import to max triangulates polys, which is not good especially for road surface. You need to get rid of them. Try to use this script for that.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3680-Smooth-track-surface-help?highlight=Quadrangulate

Road surface "polygrid" needs to be more dense and uniform. Otherwise realroad progress will look odd in game. Four polys wide track surface is not enough. Try to double that at first. Fix overlapping race surface polys between objects. Otherwise they will flicker in game. Double-check your tdf material naming, if you have created special tdf for your track.

Cheers!

7. Sub

Sub Registered

Thanks for the info Jka! I've run through your first set of suggestions:
    - changed the cubemap to a 16X16 black square
    - re-exported gmts and the scn file with everything ungrouped
    - checked to make sure my material name "road" still matched up with the tdf file, it does.

None of that did the trick, so i'm moving on to quadrangulating everything and adding more polys to the track surface. Wow - that's such a great script for fixing tracks built with BTB - thanks for linking to it!. Now i see a lot of Alt+R - Alt+L and Ctrl+Shift+E in my immediate future. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

8. Sub

Sub Registered

Yes! Everything is rendering properly now. Now i just need to figure out how to get my rf1 aiw file working right and figure out why i can't drive the car around in dev mode. It works on other tracks, but i'm just stuck in a stationary position on mine. It also briefly locks up my machine once a minute or so. I'll do some poking around the forums to see if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks for tall the help Jka!

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

No problem ;)

Simply re-save rF1 AIW with rF2 dev mode will update AIW compatibility to rF2. In most cases that will help. Just make sure that your garage coords (where you are put after hitting "race" button) are above track surface. If you are burried inside asphalt, you cannot move...:)

If that doesn't help, then I would go back to the material settings in max and triple-check tdf entries. Btw, use gMotor normals in exporter to avoid oversized tri-lists...;)

Cheers!

10. Sub

Sub Registered

I figured out that it was definitely a lack of AIW that was giving me troubles. Now i'm trying to get the old rF1 AIW working and i *think* i'm saving it out correctly, but it's still dropping me about a hundred meters behind my garages. From the Main Editor Menu, i enter the AIW editor and then click Save Waypoints. Is that the correct way to save out the old AIW in the updated rF2 format?

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Yes re-save the waypoints in dev mode