Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

When I select the 'None' option in the properties menu, which I did try just to see, it updated, the way you'd expect. You see the download progress across the bottom of Steam. When I set it back to the current release, it updated again, as it should. It does the same when I set it to 'release-candidate'. It updates, again as it should, or at least it appears to. It was left overnight after the last attempt last night.

I've also disabled the firewall just in case that was blocking. Didn't change.

Integrity/Validations all okay and the basic .txt file it leaves has one line in the log stating everything checked out properly.

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I’m a bit puzzled when you say you tried the “none” version and then set it back to current release, what exactly were you selecting in the dropdown list? “None” is the current stable build ie v1133, release-candidate gets you v1134 (with the new online stuff). When Lazza and others suggest switching back and forth a few times, the two options you should be choosing in the beta dropdown are “None” and “Release-candidate”

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I read that as a language barrier. He started with the RC, moved to NONE and then returned to what he started with(his current install) which was the RC.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@JRS It was suggested earlier to try the swap from NONE to the Release Candidate several times, and then of course swap back to NONE before repeating the process up to 5 times. I will add, when I first did my own swap to test if it worked on my end, a 2nd download started AFTER the process was finished.
    Also think about deleting the UserData\player\LocalSettings folder.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Just out of Curiousity i tried it out now.
    I selected the RC, the Download started and when it was finished and i opened the Game, i've got the Menu with the new Online Option.
    @JRS Just to ensure that you select the correct Build, is it the one in the red Frame, on the below Screenshot, that you select?
    And if you select "None" in the Beta Dropdown Menu, which Version do you get shown in the File Version.txt, that is located in the Folder ..\rFactor 2\Core ?
    And which Version do you get shown in that File, when you select the Release Candidate?

[​IMG]

6. JRS

JRS Registered

I actually did all three. With the 'release-candidate' selected my assumption was 'previous public-release' was reverting back. I also set the option to 'None', then went through the steps to select the 'release-candidate'.

Just tried that all again. Set beta option to 'None'. Exit Steam. Reboot, open Steam, rF2 properties, set to release candidate, it does its download thing, open rF2, and no 'Online' menu/button.

Goanna likes this.
  7. Spyro

Spyro Registered

An other idea to check, are you sure this is the only rFactor 2 install on your computer?
    I had a case where a driver had two différents installs, and every modifications were happening on the install he was not using... We went crazy trying to figure out what was happening!

redapg likes this.
  8. redapg

redapg Registered

@JRS Try this:
    - select "None" in the Beta Dropdown and let it download
    - shut down Steam completely (ensure that it is not still running in the Background!)
    - rightclick on the Steam Shortcut Icon and select "Run as an Administrator" (if you start it from the Windows Menu Icon, you maybe have to rightclick on the Icon, select "More" and then select "Run as an Administrator")
    - go to the Beta Selection, select the release-candidate Option and let it Download
    - when the Download is finished, open the Game
    Does that work?
    If not, again my former Question: which Version do you now get shown in the File Version.txt, that you can find in the Folder ..\rFactor 2\Core?

9. JRS

JRS Registered

For certain only one install.

10. JRS

JRS Registered

I have a rF2 on its own SSD. Lots of purchased and workshop stuff.

Having it on a separate drive letter, in its own folder wouldn't cause this would it? I used the built in Steam tool that lets you move an installation when I migrated it to this SSD earlier this year.

11. JRS

JRS Registered

No, didn't work.

'release-candidate'

'none'

12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Try deleting \rFactor 2\UserData\player\LocalStorage folder

13. JRS

JRS Registered

Did that. Also, tried removing the 'player' folder and letting a new one get created.

Still nothing.

14. JRS

JRS Registered

This is clearly a bigger issue than the usual 'try this or that' stuff.

This is just not meant to be. I'm going to let this alone and not bother.

Appreciate all the assistance.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One last item. Check in STEAM if you have disabled updates...sorry that is the last thing I can think of. Just goes to show how weird rF2 can be sometimes. Working for hundreds of other users, including many new to rF2, and then sits there and obstinately refuses to budge like a JackA...err...a Burro...
    I almost never recommend un-installing, but this may be the time. If you do, use Windows after Steam is finished to completely delete the entire rfactor2 folder structure.(Steam leaves a bunch of files behind) Then reboot and try installing again via Steam. Best of luck and sorry we could not find a solution.

16. Coutie

I think this is the first time this has been reported. Is your steam in offline mode?

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This looks like the typical case which ends with a facepalm. It could also be a Steam issue. It seems more related to Steam or the installation storage than the game.

Well, at least it's an issue only for trying the RC, not an issue with the public releases.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@nolive721 had the same thing on page 2, and I'm fairly sure I've seen a couple similar on the forum or discord.

19. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I can confirm still not working for me as well

after the troubleshooting suggested on another thread I even went full throttle and reinstalled the game

no joy

20. Coutie

Hmm, ok. Any chance windows defender is blocking some java files? Or another antivirus program? There have been reports in the past of some seeing our java files as viruses.