Interface needs an overhaul

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scopedk, Jan 11, 2012.

1. scopedk

scopedk Registered

I think a thing that ISI should really dedicate some time on is the interface. The choice of colors, size of fonts and general looks look VERY unclean. Try to choose a simple palette - always using colors that are easy to read etc etc. Also try to look how a modern look is now-a-days. It looks a bit old-fashioned.

For inspiration on buttons, looks etc (yes know it's websites, but made by very talented people):

http://siteinspire.com/

As an art director in the ad-business i use this site for all kinds of reference and inspiration - very useful.

2. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Well, look at the bright side: it's way better than rF1's. At least we don't have the "Customize, control, connect" structure... Man, rF1 is the racing game with the less intuitive UI i've ever seen in a racing game (and may be in any game i've got). I still remember when i launched it for first time...

And we always have the option of creating our own one (with limitations, but...) ;)

Regards

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If you looked through the customize option on the bottom you will have the ability to load a custom UI. So go make one and if it is any good I will use it.

I am still waiting for one that puts everything in windows 2000 detail view.. http://screens.alternativeto.net/a0b9c4a6-7ac7-4d2b-9375-346360ffbed2_1_full.png

Sort cars by Horsepower, Miles driven, manufacturer.. Sort Tracks by length, miles driven on track, Incidents.

Then switch to thumbnails for the car selection. I wonder if it is even possible.

4. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

It's miles better than rF1. I prefer it to the Race series too. I think game interfaces are super hard to get right, I can't really think of a game which has nailed it, either.

5. theother5

theother5 Registered

Actually, I've not got any issues and think it's done it's job great.

All the complicated UI's are often more trouble that they are worth ...... well ok .... but give me something that works 'cos actually, I don't spend alot of time there.

KISS principle was clearly used and it is the way to go imho. The customise option is pretty cool for those who wish to experiment though.

6. 10speed

10speed Registered

The only thing I don't like about the new standard UI is the cars and tracks selection. Instead of these apple inspired sliding selection I would prefer a drop down list just like in rfactor1. Maybe not as stylish but easier to navigate, considering there are more cars and tracks to come (hopefully :)).

Other things seem to be like you expect them in beta. E.g. there are server filters (plurar), but there is only one for password protected servers. Rfactor1 was really missing the feature to add personal filters in the server browser:
    - display only servers with name beginning "abc-server"
    - display only server hosting mod "xyz"
    etc. and most important: there should be an option to save these filters

Also there should be a favourite server list. I guess ISI left this out of beta because the one in rfactor1 was no good at all. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add these features to rfactor2. Without them selecting and joining servers will be as user-unfriendly as it was in rfactor1.

7. Simon Melhuish

Simon Melhuish Registered

I dont mind the new interface, ive seen worse in other games :)

8. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Like the new interface.

9. RafBR

RafBR Registered

I like it too ;)

10. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Totally agree. IMO having car/track selection based on a tree structure will be needed for large mods and when a lot of tracks are installed. I'm almost sure we can implement that structure quite easily (probably they didn't remove such gizmo from the UI programing). It's one of the first things I'm going to mess with :)

Agree about the rest also. Filters to limit mods in online mod are needed.

regards

11. osella

osella Registered

I like most parts of UI except actual car selection.
    Car names written vertically and having to click through them.. imagine mod like historx, you could spend half a day finding a car.

12. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I spend so little time using the interface vs the actual sim itself that I find little reason to criticize any of them. As long as I can find what I need and I can get on track and enjoy the racing the GUI has done its job. If the color palette was harsh to the eyes or things were difficult to read I would see a need to change, but for me neither of these apply - in fact I liked the look/feel of the interface. I think the challenge is finding one that fits the eyes and intuition of every user which is likely impossible so the fact it can be modified/customized should eventually lead to alternatives being created.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I also like most of the UI. What annoying me is font used to show things in car. For example chat is almost unreadable while racing.

14. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Me too.
    Its nice and simple and to be honest, its not too far off rF1 which I am so used too :D

15. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Exactly, anyone that's played R Factor 1 will feel at home and familiar with everything in the game. In my opinion that's the clever thing they have done, making it feel the same but with a massive overhaul, alot of people can't comprehend that.

16. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

Agree also, hope you could bind the arrow keys also for this use and not use only the mouse for selecting cars and tracks.

17. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

I like the interface, very easy and fast to navigate and make racesettings, i really like weather settings.
    Fast and easy.

18. sway

sway Registered

I plan on trying my hand at making a UI mod. I'll be sure to share whatever I come up with :)

19. MiniMadPaul

MiniMadPaul Registered

I agree with this. The coverflow type selection used looks OK but when the number of mods increases it will get tiresome to click through each mod until you find the one you want. I think a list is better with maybe some way of filtering through the mods lets say on genres such as open wheelers, GT, toruing, etc.

On the whole though the UI looks good. will there be or is there a UI editor available ?

20. CUDDZILLA

CUDDZILLA Registered

Interface comments

Sorry but I prefer the original "garage" interface...and of course EVERYBODY is going to bitch about this version. Buncha crybabies.