Install Mods on two harddrives?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Oliver Johann, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Oliver Johann

Oliver Johann Registered

Hello,

I have rf2 with some cars/tracks intalled on an SSD.
    Since space is now getting low, I would like to install new mods on another HD, so that rf2 looks into two folders for cars e.g., one on each HD. Is this possible?

Thank you

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

As Woodee says, you cannot configure rF2 to do it.
    However, there is a way that allows you to save as much space from the SSD as you like.
    You can make rF2 think it is writing and reading to/from the SSD and actually be writing in another hard drive.

It is a windows extension that creates "virtual folders and files" that occupy no disk space but behave as if they did.
    It is called "Link Shell Extension". There are many threads in the internet for download/install and explaining how it works.
    It works for both folders and individual files. There are several "link options" which I wil not describe since I only use "Junction Links" for folders and "Hard Links" for objects

This is ideal and very easy to make it work for packages folder (40 GB in my case).
    I have the original folder in D: drive where my original NonSteam-rF2 is installed and a "virtual copy" of it in C: drive where Steam-rF2 is installed. Both folders are syncronised and whatever I do in any of both appears also in the other one.

You can apply this to the whole "installed folder" or to the "cache folder" by previously copying it in the drive where you want to actually sore the data. Later you create the virtual folder in the SSD drive. You need to erase the initial one first, so do it carefully. Beware that if you erase the original linked folder, you will get an error when trying to enter the virtual one.

In the video you can see how it works and how space is not increased in C: drive after "pasting" the 40 GB package folder.
    The cache folder disk space is also moved from C: to D: drive

https://youtu.be/qlcf-HCk40o