IndyCar league proposal

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by AdrianF1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Hi everybody,

Let's get right to the point: as soon as I first tried the Dallara DW12 IndyCar mod when it was released for RFactor2, I foresaw the great potential it had to bring us an exciting championship opportunity. The car proves to be handy for everybody thanks to its pleasant traction grip and braking stability, both combined with an adequate turn-in and cornering behaviour.

Well, after squeezing the car alongside some friends for quite a few weeks, we all considered to suggest an IndyCar league in order to ensure crowded races rather than lonely parades from start to checkered flag, and that's what we are precisely doing right now.

Of course I don't pretend this to be as notorious and serious as Formula SimRacing or whatever; I'd like it to be just for fun - that doesn't mean forgetting about competitiveness and sheer racing, obviously. The key would be to have a fixed calendar with a scheduled 90-minutes Free Practice session, followed by a Qualifying round (maybe with knockout trials, F1 style) for each Grand Prix, that would consist of two short races (reversed grid anyone?). To make sure that everybody has the same opportunities, the drivers would have to respect a very simple rule: NOT to test out of the 90-minutes Free Practice period.

I know that it's difficult stuff as organisers wouldn't have any control over drivers, we'd have to rely on them and even on ourselves. But that's what would make this league special; having to cope with limited practice time to fine-tune the car, having the ability to maximise the hour-and-a-half period efficiently so as to make the best possible setup. Just like in real life. If that, in addition, favours equality within the grid, what could go wrong if everyone is comitted to the pact?

We'd like to know your opinions about the hypothetical championship first to assess whether it would be viable or not. Thanks for reading and feel free to add any suggestion.

2. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

I like the idea of not testing outside the 90-minutes free practice period :)
    While unlimited track-time is one of the great advantages of sim-racing I also think that it's a totally different experience coming to a track "not" driven before and having to figure it out in limited time.

I thought about it myself a while ago and came up with the idea of just not announcing which track will be run but I guess this would lead to total chaos on race-day :D
    But there is no reason why it shouldn't work out with tracks being announced. If someone is doing testing outside the free practice period he isn't getting the idea at all and misses the experience. :)

3. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Consider this draft calendar:

19-20 JUL: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - Oval (R1+R2)
    26-27 JUL: Sebring (R1+R2)
    02-03 AUG: Essington Park (R1+R2)
    09-10 AUG: Lienz (R1+R2)

We are 5 people at the moment. If anyone is interested in participate just post here.

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Not too crazy about the choice of tracks at all, but I would be in for sure.

5. Keith Kerrigan

Keith Kerrigan Registered

what time zone? cause i am american and also wanted to do a series like this!

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Same as Keith, the place I was running at before my vacation (which ends tomorrow) is low level.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'd join something that runs every two weeks at minimum. Weekly races burns most people out and doesn't give enough practice IMO. Weekly racing is the number one league killer IMO.