Include telemetry plugin in game

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by infiltrado, Oct 23, 2016.

1. infiltrado

infiltrado Registered

I think it would be a good idea including the telemetry plugin in the game as others simulators do.

Developers only need to call a mempory map file (I supose you define the name) and just all. It make easier develop apps.

Thanks in advance.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

live telemetry, or data acquisition?

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Why ? It can't get any easier than it is now.

4. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Pretty sure the EA series of F1 games had a telemetry setup in them so ISI have done it before. If it was in game then there is no reasons for plug ins which some people have problems with them stuffing up there game. I dont use any plug ins so doesnt affect me but I can see the infiltrado's point.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

We can use proper telemetry analyze tools as MoTeC now, that would not be possible to integrate officially without licensing.

If you can't handle plugins, then an open customizable platform is not for you, simple.

And honestly, what the OP is requesting is pretty much how things work now, developers get their data via. the API of RF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

F1 Challenge 99-02 used an external telemetry tool which you could access from a menu button. Anyhow, compared to MoTec that tool was rather limited in usability.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Telemetry plugins shouldn't affect the game, though that does depend exactly what they try and do (you could imagine trying to give some short-term feedback, but depending how you do that graphically it may introduce problems). Certainly if my plugin caused me or anyone else issues I'd be inclined to try and fix it, but I don't think it does. Anyway, I'm getting off-topic, but plugins in general get a bad rap for causing issues when largely they are - as intended - merely a small piece of code being added to the game to add certain functionality, often with very little detriment.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Dude.... :rolleyes:

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

My 2.000.000 cents:
    They should implement a basic telemetry-system like GP3 had!
    Enough for 98% of the people and easy to use because instantly available.

10. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I wasn't saying that all plugins cause problems for everyone, as a matter of fact 99% of the users get along fine with plug ins in the game without any glitches. But there are a fair few posts in the forums from people that do have problems.
    As I said, I don't use them as I couldn't be bothered placing this bit here and that bit there etc. I find the UI info provided by the game is enough for me.

Quoting Peterchen : " My 2.000.000 cents:
    They should implement a basic telemetry-system like GP3 had!
    Enough for 98% of the people and easy to use because instantly available.."

I agree whole heartedly.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Actually I agree some level of telemetry directly in the game - either as part of the game itself, or provided by a plugin using an extended interface to draw and interact with the user - would be a good thing. Tools like Motec are tremendously powerful but most users would benefit from something available within the game (and a lot of people using existing telemetry don't go past some basics, like control traces, ride height, tyre/brake temperatures).

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

A bit off topic, but do you have a guide as to how to use the rest? I also use the basic ones only, but just because I don't know how to use the rest in relation to setup - wheel forces etc.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To be honest, no. I tried dabbling with more advanced stuff late in rF1 and a little in rF2 but in recent years the little time I've had has been more focused on trying to drive better, and occasionally using the telemetry to tweak league mods. Unfortunately (or not) if you aren't already within half a second of the fastest guys around there's more to gain from driving technique than any 'magic' setup tweaks (the basics aside, which you and I are already checking :)). The guys more used to using motec from real life applications tend to have their projects setup in certain ways, but again are realistic about the level of potential gains relative to simply driving.

And half back on topic, my plugin currently doesn't handle steam which I need to fix, but is still easier to install than plugins used to be (putting this file here, that file there, etc).