Incidents isn't right at all in liveracers server

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by gruby, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Ah...you have only tried to tell me that 2-3 times.. LOL sorry

Understand now what you ment...

Dave

NRT

2. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

I think in a future build, The matchmaker should include a ping to the server, That way, peeps would have a better chance
    in selecting a server running closer to there local.

The Lobby that NRT created to host N2K3 so our clients would not have to connect IP, shows the peeps what is running, we had also included some other tittles in the project.

Lets our peeps know the server settings, and amount online, but in the servers offering events.

But I am sure getting back to what we have been talking about, I am sure with the amount of people in the know
    we all will come across the issue if discussed.

Dave

NRT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  3. RJames

RJames Registered

AFAIK someone's graphic settings bare absolutely no weight on the server/clients connection. The data sent to/from the data is the same at all settings, It's the client settings that display all of the data or not (e.g. full graphical changes etc).

With regards to the custom skins, they do bare some extra weight on the server to process. When the client connects to the server the skin is uploaded to the "packages" folder on the server, then when other clients return to pits (if on track) they are downloaded to the client.

With regards to the very high ping when a client joins, i think that is to do with the way the server reads the client and loads any skins (even stock) and damage etc. It's the reason rFactor has always had a temp car to minimize the lag produced. When i worked on another ISI engined product we removed temp car (yes i know bad idea) and it caused a almighty join lag which affected everyone. We found that by disabling damage fully that it then reduced that lag alot.

It would be great at somepoint if ISI and the person involved in the dedi side of things could hold a google hangout or something simlar where we could discuss the future of the dedi platform. Best practices, future features and see where everyone would like it to go.

Dave-NRT out of interest do you have any boxes running SSD drives? I wonder how a SSD would affect a rf2 server in comparison to SATA drives at higher loads (what with more data being processed etc).

4. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

When we were in Beta with another tittle same as you, We did identically the same as what your group did.

The thought amongst us all involved, If the peeps PC could not process the information quick enough
    for what ever reason, rendering, Internet connection, what be it, they would fall behind.
    Oh, The other thing was, The mas files as well as others were encrypt, The peeps had to decrypt there end.

Now I don't understand 100% about why that would cause issues, But I guess it would go along with
    what I had said about the peeps PC trying to work to hard, The encryption was set way to high we were told.

When this occurred there experience suffered.
    Lessening the amount of data, re your post, The peeps PC would not be as stressed.
    I guess this was wrong?

We even went as far as to create a full set of cars 1 pixel each named what the file would be as place holders on the server.

I think once more and more gets optimized and the Sim as a whole becomes better, things will improve overall.

BTW RJames, GREAT website...I spent some time reading.. will be a morning coffee stop for sure!

Missing a very important Sim tittle, If you like I can PM you.. :)
    Very vibrant community

Dave

NRT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You could be right, in time things might improve indeed. rf2 is just much more complex now.

Simple things like skin downloads. I am one of those guys whom cannot see custom skins at all in-game, its some sort of bug. but what if the server keeps trying to get passed that bug? and what if there are 5 or 10 peeps having the same issue?
    So we removed that option on the server.

replays as well, we know the replay system is not 100% correct yet and bugged, so could it also effect the servers performance?
    So we shut that down as well.

We once had AI shown as AI (tag behind their name) and it messed up everything. they would not leave after boot, real drivers would disappear from the list but actually still be on the server. those whom left and did not return would still have their names in the active drivers list.....
    So that was changed back too.

We are now even going as far as not allowing auto-downloads at all. Partly because we do not want people to join whom just got the content and are 'just' discovering a mod or track at that point, that just messes up the racing. but also to avoid any kind of interaction from server to clients.

No plugins at all

Anything that is in our hands should be shut down :p

Heck, the vmod alone is causing random issues across the board all the time for many people.

But I still suspect rf2 is just not capable of handling big grids by default. are there any leagues or communities out there whom are running 30+ without issues?

In our current event we are using a public password, just to avoid having random joiners and too many drivers. Because bad driving + lag is a real gamebreaker.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fwiw Dave I noticed irratic behaviour with the graphics at Portugal. others did as well. clouds, lightning, etc. turned HDR off just to be sure the main races would go well.

I suspect it was weather settings. they where set to changing conditions (not even rain) and that seemed to mess up things.

I think it has little to do with connections but it could influence overall performance for individuals and just adding to whatever stress there is already.
    Maybe something to take into consideration, those weather settings could influence clients. especially those with low(er) end pc's.

7. RJames

RJames Registered

Hi Dave,

Many thanks. Still a work in progress, many new features nearly ready to be released of which i'm slaving away on! :)

Sure thing by all means please do pm me, we are always open to further ideas/areas that need to be improved or covered.

Best,

Rob.

8. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Denstjiro

I looked quickly for the line to turn of replays, Just to see if it helps.

Can you point me in the righ direction?

Thanks

Dave

NRT

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In the .PLR file/game options:
    Record Replays="0" // whether to record replays or not

10. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Thank-you, I will disable it on the ISI servers and see what it does...

Thank-you "Sir"

Dave

NRT

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You're welcome kind Sir :)