If you change your files in a build to improve performance, please revert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi folks,

Obviously if you change settings in a previous build, please revert those for each new build so that you are getting the actual software we've released. We may have had some people decrease in performance with the last update (and give us some issues we cannot reproduce) because they altered their player files, etc, to attempt to fix issues with the previous build. If we cannot reproduce your issue, we can't fix it. So we need you running with our software, not your edit of it. :)

We should be adding a revert button in the advanced section of the launcher. This button will reset all your settings, so you may prefer to make notes of any changes you make and undo them manually.

Cheers,

Tim

2. THracing

THracing Registered

I reinstalled rF2 yesterday without altering a single thing in .plr. It's still a hog...

3. 88mphTim

Yes, we've seen your posts, but that is actually why the post above says what it says, how it says.
    That may not apply to you, and it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. But the people that it does apply to are taking time away from working on your feedback.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Would it be possible for ISI to post a link for the default player. and controller files? It's a little easier than re installing.

NVM. I just noticed the " We should be adding a revert button in the advanced section of the launcher. This button will reset all your settings, so you may prefer to make notes of any changes you make and undo them manually."

Sorry!

5. 88mphTim

Yeah that was the main reason for needing something like that. It should be totally understood though that it'll wipe your settings. It was mentioned to try a merge, but I'm not sure if they'll go through with that.

6. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You can reset them all by just deleting the existing ones, settings.ini, controller.ini and player.plr. The game will recreate default ones when it starts up. Probably a good idea to delete log\shaders too.

7. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Well Tim
    i wiped everything today and started a fresh copy and reactivated the game
    and still I have these annoying stutters, they are really putting me off the
    enjoyment of playing at the mo, I have tried numerous things before I wiped
    now my pc has only this game installed with all drivers up to date and I hope
    there can be a fix soon, to re assure I had no problems before the patch update.

8. 88mphTim

You're why this thread is here. It's been difficult to reproduce issues for some people because they are causing them by having edited files. This has diluted the effect of reports from people with genuine problems, so it's been a bit more work for the guys to find actual problems.

9. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Okay well Im more than willing to test anything if you need me to, as I love this game so much
    been part of my life since release day of rF1 :) I have stopped editing now and left everything default
    since reinstall I have just been trying different settings in game like lowering certain graphics fps goes up
    to 300 ish at max and around 120 ish during heavy race starts and the stutters are there both at high and low fps, I have also tried the variants of vsync and using the fxaa and aa thanks Jon.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I'm sure Tim has seen my posts about the changes in performance, just want to state that after I first ran those tests I have reinstalled the game twice (wiping everything between installs) and the performance wasn't affected. Hope that helps.

11. 88mphTim

Actually a bit behind this week as I was in Ann Arbor for two days working on things there. But while I was there I saw the guys reading the forum. :) I'll be doing my regular report to them as soon as I can, so if they missed anything themselves, I'll be notifying them.

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

As I've already mentioned in a previous thread, build 60 is unplayable for me. The menu begining with the race setup screen has huge amounts of lag, I have to hover over every button for about 10 seconds and then I hear the sound to say the selection is highlighted. I also get the garage menu showing through the main race setup screen but only on certain resolutions. As already mentioned when I go into a race or even single time trial I get rock solid 2 frames per second, it never increases. I also get a crazy HDR problem where the screen goes completely white but gradualy like someone has let off a nuke. When on build 49 I have a good 60fps so this is clearly a huge problem for me.

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Basjon, I'm interested in what other programs you might have running or more likely processes. your system should not be stuttering and especially at those frame rates.

mikey I find it hard to believe you can even run rF2 on an 8800gt and 2 gigs of ram. however in this post, http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/320-rF2-minimum-requirement people state they believe you are in range. albeit low. there are also a few hints in there like the +fullproc exe variable. which I'm not sure is implemented or needed with rf2.

14. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

p.s. I just hate it that you guys are not even able to drive it now... hope you get it sorted.

15. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Hi Kristoff, well I have always been very aware of keeping my processes very low my current count is 44 which is pretty low for windows 7 ultimate the ones that run under my pc name is just 4 processes namely antivir,Hydradm64,HydraDm and rF2,as to what you said about the full proc rF2 doesnt need the line editingby default it uses all, although I have checked with hyperthreading on so I have 8 cores all have the tick in affinity for rF2 but when I alt tab when running game and check performance in task manager its only using 4 of the cores so this game doesnt utilise hyperthreading so I turned it off in bios to check but no change.

16. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Does ISI test the game with modern hardware (sandybridge cpu:s etc)? It really seems like most peoples with SB processors like myself are not really getting similar performance than some guys with older ones like s1366 i7 or 1156 i5/i7 when both systems has comparable gfx cards.

Example: when i still had my GTX580 i got around 70-120fps, dont get me wrong it was still very smooth and playable. But weird thing is that exact gfx card is now in my friends system who has core i5 760 and hes getting like 10-15fps more than i was getting at exatly same settings on the rf2. In all new games performance was better with that card in my system than it is now in friends, and tbh thats how it should be as my cpu is a lot faster.

But back to the topic that matters for now.There really seems to be some serious issues with AMD gfx cards atm. This HD7950 i have now is even faster than GTX580 but im just getting horrible stuttering all the time. GPU usage is low and jumpy = fps is all over the place beetween 35-140. Tried even set all gfx settings to medium but that didint make any difference for stuttering, max fps obviously got lot higher but still got really low fps specially on main straights of each track. Allready reinstalled game but that didint help anything.

17. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

44 processes is rather low for win 7 I have some 85 running right now... although I'm working in Autocad at the moment.

the stuttering at those rates screams that something is interfering to me... I'm sure you've tried without the antivirus. also you might try without any of the video card extra software running if that's possible with ATI. also you might try running in windowed mode and see if you get the same effect.

18. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Sorry Kristoff I haven't updated my specs, I have a GTX560 TI 1056mb and on my old 8800GTX it ran on build 49 with no issues nearly max settings apart from shadows turned to low.

19. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Yes I have tried removing my antivir altogether as this is really only for gaming, and I have also disabled all my ati tray stuff as in CCC and the Hydravision, and also have tried window mode on and off in game the only difference I get with window mode is I can safely alt tab and back in game with window mode off the game usually either crashes or wont let me back in the game so I have to end in task manager and relaunch the game.

20. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well i think the stuttering is simply because of the gpu usage goes up and down all the time beetween 70-98% when in other games gpu usage is always beetween 98-99% and stays there as long game is running. I have tested it with antivirus (avast) disabled and dont make any difference. Also all other games are working fine so its definately something to do with rf2. I also usually run the game without any software at backround, just used MSI afterburner to see gpu usage, windowed mode makes no difference.

Comparison:

RF2:

View attachment 1352

pCARS: ( this is just example and its same in other games ;) )

View attachment 1354