I wonder when to check tire temperature to change camber.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by voltking, Mar 6, 2014.

1. voltking

voltking Registered

Sorry for my bad english.:rolleyes: and I'm newbie for racing game. I read some manuals for setting a car. all manuals said " temperature distribution for all tires of approximately 10 degrees (+/- 5) from the inside edge of the tire to the outside, with the inside edge being the hottest."
    but I don.t know when to check the tire temperature. Is it after pit-in or during cornering???

2. jjcook

jjcook Registered

get a few(3 or 4) clean laps and hit escape on the front straight

3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Ideally you need to get them hot with hard cornering. Yes agree 3-4 laps. but also work the tyres hard on the straights as well.
    The press esc and check temps.

Cruising into the pits will start to average temps again and you want a dynamic reading so no don't pit.

Better still download the motec plugin and you can analyse the temps over the lap, buts its during cornering that the temps show the story.

I dont think the tyre model is perfect yet as its not possible to get the outer temp hot enough even with really low camber.

4. datanode

datanode Registered

It makes sense to allow them to warm up to an operating temperature. After about 5-6 laps check them on the straight.

Try not to lock up too much when doing this in general and certainly not the corners before the straight you are measuring on.

I don't actually know this as fact but it stands to reason I think.

If you are trying to get an overall general setup change this should work.

But then you might be doing some fine tuning for corner optimisation in priority order. Analysing corner by corner in speed priority.

Then you might be looking for a Corning temperature to tell you whether that setup for a lap is more or less suited to a particular corner.

But in general start with approach one.

Also, the tyre model is not finalised yet, so maybe this isn't 100% there. You might want to get some advice from fellow racers or do some testing with isolated pressure changes.Then analysing wear vs speed.

Remember the setup is complex, interactions etc so don't expect this to be easy which is why advice is good.

Also try extreme step changes it can save time testing. E.g. +/- 3psi then when you get a direction, quickly fine tune it :)

Again this is based on ideas to try and some things I have learnt outside of sim racing, hopefully it applies and helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Tyre model is still WIP, is being worked on now, i believe i read somewhere on the forum that Devs arent happy how does the tyre pressure affect the contact patch yet

6. David O'Reilly

That makes sense to me.
    My testing so far has always led to lowest possible pressure offering best grip whereas in real life the sidewall distortion will eventually kick in and reduce dynamic contact patch.

With all due respect to previous posts its what happens mid corner that matters. The temps there tell the story of how the tyre is being worked. There is no tyre grip issue on straights. So what temp is doing in the straights does not matter much. In RF2 the temps drop quickly too.
    In a perfect world we would have a large skid pan and corner constantly for a period then check tyre temps.

It is also very interesting to see on Motec that the best lap usually is the one with no big temperature spikes in the tyres. No overdriving.

7. datanode

datanode Registered

To get an overall setup change for an entire lap it isn't unreasonable to see temperature build up on the straight after 5-6 laps.

The straight is merely an opportunity to eradicate surface temperature and see actual build up. This is of interest. This build up shows a how your tyres are interacting with your driving style / suspension geo. It also allows for a margin of error but does give you a generalised change.

Mid corner surface temperatures are great to have and allow a fine tune. But getting an overall change first and then fine tuning to a particular corner is wise.

When fine tuning try not to deviate too much. Finding zen in one corner at the sacrifice of others is what we should be avoiding.

Don't chase a setup changing it corner by corner it will take forever and will yoyo back and forth.

Try for a base and work from there.

There are some great reads on these topics in various books. You can also go to lower class races and talk to people in real life.

What I don't know is what specific areas of the tyre model is WIP. What is and isn't specifically implemented. Who does outside ISI ?

The temperature drop off doesn't seem that bad to me. I might build temperature differently.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  8. David O'Reilly

When I use a Motec tool to check tyre temps the variance can be a much as 50 deg over one lap. So exiting a corner and travelling down a straight can see a massive drop.
    Yes there are long term patterns but in my view the real challenge is to see what part of the tyre is or isn't being worked mid corner.
    EG: a typical variance at the moment can actually be 30 degrees between inner and outer temps in mid corner. Which does seem a heck of a lot actually. But if it was the best you could get by lowering camber to get more work into the outside edge then an ideal would be to see say Inner/mid/outer 115/100/85 deg.
    Currently in-game it seems impossible to get the middle temp somewhere to average the outer and inner. It wants to stay too close to the inner temp. So you have 2 really high readings and one low one. This would normally indicate too much camber or tyre pressure, but reducing camber down to get good temps is adversely impacting front grip. And pressure at minimum still has middle temp too high (close to inner temp) So something is currently not stacking up.
    The very dynamic manner of temp change seems to indicate its surface temp.
    So much of the time its testing Codemasters style (add camber-check lap time).

So I do feel that at moment its hard to be too dogmatic. I do feel that older guides that recommended say a delta of 7- 10 deg are not appropriate.
    Happy testing!